• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clicking and ticking in front axle

HeavyT

NAXJA Forum User
SO I finally got my door working on my 1990 2 door and I took it out for some fun on the dirt roads here in NM> Well the PO never used the 4wd and so I was giving it a good little warm up in making sure everything works and was shifting properly after it got warm and all and I noticed that on the way home last night the front passengers side is clicking. it speeds up when I speed up and is there from 1mph-50mph (as fast as I went on the way home) I did some searching and it might be a vacuum disconnect or a brake rotor it does go away when I brake hard but could it be something else.

This all started last night after I really used the 4wd in some sand areas near my place.

any thoughts. and much thanks in advance!

T

I take it you had driven the rig in 2wd & it didn't make the noise? Does it do it in 2wd now? If it only does it in 4wd check your U-joints, axle & d/shaft. If it's doing it in 2wd check your brakes, you may have some crap caught between the rotor & backing plate or in the axle U-joint. That's pretty common after off road excursions.

Went out and took off the front wheel on the passenger side, nothing up in the brakes or u joint that I could see/feel. it was in 2wd and did it all the way home!

i have the same thing going on checked it out tonight and its the u joint on the axle. i put it in 4wdr jacked it up and moved the axle back and forth by hand and has alot of play in it.

I had alot of ticking/clicking when In 2wd, could really hear it when I drove next to a building or barrier. I replaced the Ujoints and hub bearings and its gone now. The old joints didnt have any play, but they were real stiff and most likely factory originals.

Back