• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator voltage

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
Just had my charging system checked at AZ and my Alternator is putting out 13.8 volts. Should I replace it, let it go a while or forget about it? I do have a spare.

The original battery died after 112k so I replaced it. I noticed that even the battery was run down the gauge wasn't going above 14 volts so I had it checked. For some reason I thought they were to run about 14.4

The original battery died after 112k so I replaced it. I noticed that even the battery was run down the gauge wasn't going above 14 volts so I had it checked. For some reason I thought they were to run about 14.4

14.4V is getting on the high side. 13.5 to 14.0 is normal. I have had 14.2 on cold days up North. In Miami, I have seen it as low as 13.2V :doh:

Hallo Jeeper. Don't believe the jeepgauge.
My Jeep is about 13.8 volt on the Altenator most of the time.
It depends on what the ECU is doing. Outside temp,motor temp,load,condition battery. All these things are important.
Most important: keep the wires and connectors clean. (special the grounds).:wave1:

'92 XJ 31"BFG Muds 3"BB.

Back