• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Wheel Drive and Locker

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Looking to get my SYE done soon, possibly at a friends house thats about 20 minutes away from home. I have an AX-15 so the shaft lengths are different and a front shaft will not work for me. Since I need to measure before I get a shaft made, I'd need to drive it home in front wheel drive.

Front end is aussie-locked. Will this create a huge problem in fwd?

my self, and a few friends have had to drive a couple miles home with only front wheel drive, and lunchbox lockers up front.

take backroads, let off the throttle during turns, and just drive with some sense and you will be fine. with automatics it isn't very bad, but with stick shifts it does jump a little bit when getting on and off the throttle.

my self, and a few friends have had to drive a couple miles home with only front wheel drive, and lunchbox lockers up front.

take backroads, let off the throttle during turns, and just drive with some sense and you will be fine. with automatics it isn't very bad, but with stick shifts it does jump a little bit when getting on and off the throttle.

x2

Just take it easy and go slower than normal.

NO FREEWAY FOR YOU!!! :)

E

Well........ I drove better than 200 miles home without a rear d/s a few years back. Replaced the tcase (long story....) with one that had an SYE, and the driveshaft I ordered came with a 1330 u-joint instead of a 1310. Most of that distance was freeway, and 65-70 mph was the norm.

Oh, yeah...... TrueTrac upfront. Yes, I know it's not a locker. Most of the unpleasant behavior came from the u-joints in the front axles, and the vibrations they cause in turns under power.

I drove about 60 miles at highway speeds with no rear driveshaft and a lock right up front with an auto tranny.

It fully sucked, and I was all over the lane - especially on the winding sections. The rig pulled hard on acceleration and any downshifts.

Drive gently, take backroads, and avoid traffic as much as possible...

Back