• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power windows still no work

XxFIREMANxX said:
I have a 94 and I tryed the jumping wire thing and it still wont let the other windows work is there any other trick to try. Thanks

Then your problem is likely not the switch itself. You'll need to start trobleshooting the wiring.

XxFIREMANxX said:
I have a 94 and I tryed the jumping wire thing and it still wont let the other windows work is there any other trick to try. Thanks

Hah! I just went through this on my '00XJ; none of the other windows would operate with their associated door mounted switch but would work with the drivers panel.

First, let me strongly suggest you get a copy of the factory service manual. The factory book will give an overall explanation of the system in question (how it works) then delve into some of the common problems and how to trouble shoot them; the book helped greatly in getting my windows operating again....there's no way I would've figured it out on my own.

I am assuming you have a driver's door module (DDM) for the winodws, mirrors and locks and that it has an override switch to deactivate the rear windows. The ovrride switch simply breaks the ground connection for the rear window switches; the window motors are DC and the direction they will rotate is controlled simply by reversing the polarity of the power fed to them (that's what the switch does). The passenger door does not have a lock but it does feed its ground through the DDM.

In my case, what I ended up with was a bad ground connection across all the switch contacts in the drivers door module which rendered all the other windows inop. I removed the module and ran the troubleshooting and found a loss of continuity. At that point the book says to replace the DDM because it is not rebuildable. Having just dropped $32 for a brake light switch, I figured my DDM would cost well of $100 from the Jeep stealer. With nothing to lose, I picked apart the DDM. Pop the door panel and remove the DDM; if yours is like mine, you'll see some small screws and some snap fittings holding it all together. Remove the screws and carefully pry it apart. I had to pop off the window, window override and power lock buttons along with the mirror selector switch before I could get it apart. The buttons are friction fit to the switches and will pop off by *carefully* slipping some needle nose pliers underneath the buttons; be careful 'cause when the buttons pop off they *will* go zinging off to parts unknown. Once you get the case open, you should see all of the switches and the various contacts; I used some electrical contact cleaner to get most of the crud off them. Some contacts had black deposits that wouldn't come off with the cleaner so I took the switches apart, one at a time, and used a pencil eraser to scrub them clean. Putting it all back together and connecting the wiring, all my windows were once again operational from their individual switches.

I suspect your DDM may be different than mine, but I'll bet you can get into it to clean the contacts. Be careful, be patient and you can do it. This is what worked for me..... I hope it helps you out.

mike
00XJ

Back