• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux reverse lights wired to fog light button

bigalpha

Instead of doing completely new wiring to rig up some aux. reverse lights; would it be an ok idea to wire them to the fog light switch? This way, I don't have to add any switches, and part of the job is already done. What's the max load that circuit can handle? I'd hate to have a meltdown.

I'm still unsure if I want to wire some lights to my roof rack, or under the bumper or what. I think the roof rack would look cool, but on the bumper would be more simple (I think).

TIA

I don't know what the max load is on the circuit, but I can tell you that due to the way it is wired, the factory fog light switch typically melts down internally even with just the factory fog lights running on it. I think my '99 factory switch lasted about 2-3 years. I like the idea of using factory switches, you'll just need to rewire them to better handle the extra load.

Your best bet is to use the factory wiring to trigger a relay. That's what I did for my hella's. Note you have to do some tweaking unless you want them to work exactly like factory fogs in a different location :D

Another note, the factory switch seemed to last longer for me when I took out the extra indicator bulb.

So, I can use the factory wiring that triggers a relay that turns the lights on?

At this point, I think I'll be happy with a switch that turns on the lights. I don't need to get fancy .... yet.

Would it be possible to wire an LED instead of a regular bulb for the indicator?

Did you hook it to a relay, or did you wire it straight up?

This seems like a fairly straight forward mod, even for a non-electrical engineer, such as myself.

I just unhooked the defroster, then tied right in to the leads.. The defroster takes alot of juice to work, so i can't see how it would hurt..I think the defrost has a relay .... I had mine on last night for 20 min, the switch was not hot at all... Remove the rear side panel inside an you can see all the wires that go to the life gate.... My colors for the strips were brown with white strip and black... HTH

Man, I wish I had it that easy. Unfortunately, I have to use my defrost where I live.

Just so I'm clear ... the aux lights are wired directly to the battery, with a relay between the two. The relay is wired directly to the foglight switch. When the foglight switch is turned to 'on', it turns the relay to 'on', which turns on the lights.

That sounds straightforward. Do I need to use a NO relay? That way, when the fog switch is turned 'on', it closes the relay. Does that sound right?

I wish it were that easy. Keep in mind the factory fogs only run IF the lights are on AND they are on low beam. I think the relay is before the switch, and is triggered from the lights.

So the first step would be to find out which relay it is, and to take the trigger from the lights and have it trigger off the battery, or a keyed +12V. This should give you a +12V output from the switch that would work indepently from the lights.

From there it is straight forward, grab the power wire that goes to the fogs and wire it to the coil terminal of a NO relay. (Normally open- power holds it closed or on. Normally Closed- power holds it open or off.)

Clear as mud?

Don't skimp on your wiring guys......you'll end up with nothing more than in insurance claim.

Run a new circuit with a relay and a fuse. It's been covered on here and other boards countless times. I'm sure there is a writeup out there somewhere......I'm just too lazy to go find it for you.:D

HaleYes said:
Don't skimp on your wiring guys......you'll end up with nothing more than in insurance claim.

Run a new circuit with a relay and a fuse. It's been covered on here and other boards countless times. I'm sure there is a writeup out there somewhere......I'm just too lazy to go find it for you.:D

That's what I was initially finding out....whether that circuit that controls the fogs can control the aux lights. I mean, I kinda figured it would work, as long as I didn't exceed what the OEM fogs pulled.

I agree, though, that you should never skimp on electricals. Great way to get a nuclear meltdown.

If I do run a completely new circuit, I'd like to make sure to remove the old wiring to the fogs.

P1010223.jpg

here is an idea for your reverse light idea. 5 bucks at the pick and pull from an oldsmobile aurora and some spray insulation and its even wired to my factory fog light switch.

Back