• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange Transmission Problem

Justpunchit

NAXJA Member #1291
The other day I was driving my Xj on the road going up an hill and I notice smoke coming from under the jeep when I look into it trans fluid is just pouring out from the jeep, not from anywhere I could see and it wasn't from the trans cooler lines, I drove home (at low speed).... I get home no more huge leak and there is still fluid in the trans as well, filled it again to the proper level, drove at lower speed no leaks again... im stumped anyone have an idea??

How positive are you that it is trans fluid? I've been having the same problem with my 90 XJ after going up hills or even parked on a hill facing up.
It is the rear main seal and It had been about two years of topping off the oil level for me to finally pull the pan last week.

Actually what really made me do it was my wifey picked me up the other day and was parked up hill with engine running. When i came outside to get in i saw smoke, looked underneath and seen it just steadily dripping on the exhaust. with my daughter in the backseat that was more than enough for me to want to change it b4 a fire broke out soon.

how is your engine oil level? if it really isnt engine oil, I'd change the transmission filter and pan gasket and then refill with new fluid and a bottle of LUCAS trans fix;) if it leaks after doing that then it's either the tube thats connected to the trans pan which holds the dipstick or something internal. good luck.

I had the same problem, I had the fluid and the filter change in the transmission and the mechanic that worked in my XJ overfilled the tramsmission and when I was driving on Highway 8 , after a long pull i saw in my rear view mirror a lot of smoke, I stopped inmediatly , checking the oil pressure and the engine temperature (was normal) , and look under it and saw transmission fluid leaking into the exhaust manifold, from the breather hose, got home drained the excess and didnt do it anymore,,,,,,,,

regards
Germa

Back