• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quarter trim for 35's on 4.5" lift

dan302492

NAXJA Forum User
my dad decided he wanted 35" tires on his xj wich has a 4.5" re superflex kit on it so i got the idea for the trim from "87xjco" this is about as far as i got untill i found out my welder ran out of gas and it got to late to keep grinding away. more info on this tomarow hopefully.

quartermegatrim001.jpg

quartermegatrim002.jpg

you seem to have a slight hole in your wheel well :jester::jester::jester::jester::jester::jester:

do not forget the bump stops

was he by any chance running 33's before, cause I'm rubbing pretty bad on 33's with trimming and 4.5" , can't imagine 35's, but then you trimming more

snwy_mnt_jeep said:
was he by any chance running 33's before, cause I'm rubbing pretty bad on 33's with trimming and 4.5" , can't imagine 35's, but then you trimming more
i had 36's on 4.5" no rubbing. Maybe i cropped the crap out o my fenders but ive seen lots worse on here. you might want to check your crap.

I have been running 35's on a RE 4.5 for awhile now with no problems. The key is good trimming and bumpstopping!! I got good flex with very little rubbing (inside the front & rear wheelwells). Those quarters are butchered.....OUCH...... I would not have taken it past the pinch seam/spot welds!! You have got a little fab work to do now!

Smittty9785 said:
i had 36's on 4.5" no rubbing. Maybe i cropped the crap out o my fenders but ive seen lots worse on here. you might want to check your crap.
I rub 35s on 6.5'' of lift with the same amount of cutting as pictured above.

Bumpstops are on the list....

well where you rubbing at? you have drop brackets or what? you running stock LCA?

Smittty9785 said:
well where you rubbing at? you have drop brackets or what? you running stock LCA?
Not sure why that matters because we are talking about the rear fenders.

I have TnT long arms though.

Just because Im a picture whore, heres a video. Wait till the end, and you can see the rubbing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9CBNJKqYgw

Bumpstops are key!! I run Q78s and haven't cut the fender well out...but things are trimmed back as much as can be. I don't rub (AFAIK) and I have good bumpstops. I use the bumpstop plates on top of the springs so that the rubber piece isn't rediculously long!

Starboard M said:
Not sure why that matters because we are talking about the rear fenders.

I have TnT long arms though.

Just because Im a picture whore, heres a video. Wait till the end, and you can see the rubbing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9CBNJKqYgw
ok when i had my 4.5" lift i wasnt rubbing in the rear. I cut below where the stock fender normally sat. not nearly as much as this guy in the pics did and i had no rubbing issues.

Wow I did the quarter mega trim on my XJ and I know I gave you some inspiration!

But I hope I didn't steer you towards something too crazy.

I wasn't concerned too much on my vehicle, the paint was shot and I don't really care how much the body gets banged up, so I didn't try to do a super clean job.

Your vehicle looks alot cleaner, takes some huge balls to slice up something that clean!! :scared:

I didn't mention it (sorry) but I had 3 or 4 days hard work into each side, and I'm fairly fast at this stuff. You've got alot of work ahead of you!!

But take your time and think things out before you move forward, hopefully you'll do fine!

On the front dogleg edge, I would have left more of a lip to fold over on top of the inner quarter panel, especially up by the corner of the door.

And I think you may want to cut the inner quarter a little more towards the front, to not end up with a bulge where you splice filler panels in.

Looking forward to seeing the progress :cheers: :cheers:

Smittty9785 said:

yep and after checking my crap, I think I just need some backspace, cause it's still on stock wheels. I need new wheels or spacers, going to see how it does with that. Thanks for all the imput everyone. this is a great site for someone like me, 1st XJ.

Thanks,
JOe:cheers:

just trimmed up the other side pretty much the same today, tomarow i plan on cutting and folding in about quarter of an inch of the quarter pannel for the inner lip than move forward to plating up the wheel well, not worried about it looking super super clean eather because its on my dads 92 with crappola paint and its used only for trails and grocery runs pretty much. also to come is a big rear tube bumper for it.

Back