• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeay Brakes while driving

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
98 Cherokee, frt disc brkes are squeaky while driving, untill you apply the brake pedal then the are silent, release the pedal they squeak again, brakes are less than 2 months old, any way to shut um up

Did you use disc brake quiet[silicone goop] when you did the brakes? If not take them apart , use it. It'll work wonders. Or did you use metalic pads? they'll squeak forever. XJs call for semi-metalics but my own personal thing is organic pads, you have to change them more often but they don't squeak ,the dust isn't as bad, & your rotors last longer.I know rotors are cheap, thats not why I use them, it's the noise. A lot of people don't like organics, it's just my preference.

Re: Squeaky Brakes while driving

I've got a 2001 XJ Sport (w. ABS) with the same symptoms: rotating squeak while moving, even in neutral, which stops if I lightly apply the brakes. Purchased used 3 months ago, so brakes are of unknown age.

Is this squeak a sign that brake pads/shoes need replaced in either the front or rear? I've heard that there is some sort of built-in wear detecting strip that will make noise when worn down, does this behavior sound consistent with it?

Either the linings are incompatable or they are glazed and didn't break in right. You can try taking them apart and roughing up the rotors and the pads with sandpaper hoping they'll seat better. There are also liquid compounds you can put on the back of the linings where they meet the pistons. If all that doesn't work you need to try a different lining (Pads).

Back