• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust manifold

downhillracer

NAXJA Forum User
I got under the jeep today to try and figure out where my exhaust leak was coming from when I noticed that the bolt hole nearest the firewall on the header was missing. I tried putting in a new bolt but I cant get it to start threading straight. Any suggestions? Im thinking maybe the other bolt sheared off somehow but I cant see given the tight space.

there probably is a broken stud inside . depending on the year and engine, some of the maniifolds warped and the runners spread out so you would have to remove the manifold to remove the stud.

mine had a broken stud there too. you will have to remove the intake and exhaust manifold to be able to get a drill in there to drill out the old stud and re-thread the hole. its a bitch to do but you gotta do it.

That one is tough to get out because of the space limitations. I broke that stud on my MJ. But luckily, at the time, the head was on the bench. So it was super easy to remove the broken stud.

I just installed a new exhaust manifold this weekend and as others have said, there should be a stud in that hole, not a bolt.

The stud is surprisingly short and you can purchase a set of the bolts and the two studs from any place like Advanced Auto / NAPA etc.

My advice is to attempt to thread in a new stud (you will need a special E-10 socket - kind of female torx socket) before going through the hassle of taking every off. If you are very lucky, you'll find that the old stud backed out and you can simple thread in the new one and put a new nut (9/16) on it.

If you have to remove everything - plan on a full weekend of work. The best way to remove the manifold bolts (worked for me at least) is to warm the Jeep up and remove the bolts while the engine is hot. Wear gloves and protection on your arms because you can burn yourself, but all my rusty, been-in-there-for-225K-miles-in-New England bolts came out without a fuss.

Back