• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best oil? Plugs? Filters? Additives?

ehanvey

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ, AT, 4.0, 4WD, absolutely love my Jeep. Want to be sure I'm using the best of the best for it, so..... what kind of oil? oil filter? air filter? plugs? additives? I want the best!

XJ Stryker said:
hmmmm

Use Pennzoil oil, Fram Filter, autolite plugs, No additives needed it is Pennzoil,

Good luck

I am hoping that you have some kind of twisted sense of humor. Pennzoil leaves a lot of sludge, fram filters are okay if you use the tough guard, but crap otherwise, and Autolites are the worst spark plugs I have ever dealt with. I have on several occasions seen autolite spark plugs that would not fire right out of the box. If you really want to know about the best oils, filters and additives, there is a VERY long thread on the subject http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=943013&highlight=Rotella+T
I recommend champion spark plugs, some say the truck plugs, I have no experience with them though.

I use;
Shell Rotella 10-30(Wal-Mart carries it in gallon jugs, $10.47 a gallon)no additives

Either NAPA gold, Mobil1 or Puralator Pure One filters

Champion truck plugs

Use only Dex 3 in your AW4

Lucas fuel injector cleaner and upper cylinder lubricant each oil change.

I run K&N air filters but others will disagree. Just run a good Puralator air filter and you will be fine.

iwannadie said:
I use high mile castrol, napa gold filters and no additives with champion truck plugs.
x2 all the napa filters are made by WIX and are of very high quality, and castrol is the best oil you can get without going to a synthetic.

Napa 10w30 made by valvoline
Napa gold flters mae by wix
Lucas oil stablizer made by Mr Lucas
autolte plugs made in hong kong by a ding dong

i use royal purple syn 10w30 with a fram filter

iwannadie said:
Just curious, why use one of the most expensive oils and cheapest filter?

x2
FRAM is by FAR the worst made filter (cardboard endcaps).
Unless you are using one on the $8-10 Fram's then you may be ok.

I use Valvoline 10w30, and Wix filters. I bought a whole case of oil filters and air filters from fleetfilter.com , that way I don't have to go to the auto parts store when I change my oil.

I've heard to just use whatever is recommended for stock spark plugs. The expensive ones actually cause the engine to perform worse.

To be honest though, just do some searching around here, there are more opinions on oil than there are grains of sand. Do some research and then pick one. Changing the oil filter and oil regularly is much more important that the type you use.

You're going to get a different answer from every person.

That being said, I use Mobil Clean 5000 10w30, Purolator PureOne filter, Purolator air filter and Champion truck plugs. After doing a little reading, it seems the distributorless ignition prefers NGK platinums, so I'll be switching to those eventually.

For additives I run a can of Seafoam through the gas tank every other oil change if I remember.

Oil I use Mobil 5000. Filter I only use Baldwin. Plugs are Champion. I run a 96 cherokee so plugs might be different for you with the 2000.

Back