• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MT/R's what's the experience

northernxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have been doing a lot of research on tires for my 2001 xj. I am puttin gon a 3.5'' RE superflex kit before winter along with 31's. I have been looking at a wide range of tires, which include but not limited to; Bridgestone Dueller Revo's, BFG ko's, Cooper Discover ST(not stt), Dunlop Rover RT, Kumho MT, and recently the MT/R. I am going to be doing mostly on road driving with the occasional offroading a few times a month. I want something that will be good on a DD but will do well off road. I have not really been interested in a MT due to the DD part, though I have read some very impressive reviews at tire rack on the MT/R. There are 40 reviews with over 50K miles and 9 reviews from people that have gotten over 70k miles on these. Can I really get good miles out of these?
http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surv...vingStyle=All&drivingConditions=All&miles=All

Should I go with an AT? How about the Cooper?

Im am very impressed with these after the first month!
BTW,Ive had 3 sets of Cooper's(because theyre cheap).The 30x9.5' AT's ended up on the sandrail(who cares),the 30x9.5' MT's I sold to a friend(he still hates me for that),the 265/75/16 MT's went on my sons truck(He loves them cause he's got a welded diff and they were FREE).
nitva1.ang.jpg

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94468

Last edited:
i have had 0 negative experience regarding a MT and street driving, i dont understand the fuss some people make about it. its basically just the same as it was on BFG ATs. i have BFG MTs. as for the mtr, theres nothing wrong with its street driving either. there are 3 close friends in my club all running that tire and i have been impressed with what they do in basically all situations except very slick conditions offroad. i have also experienced them getting good mileage out of them, i dont have any real numbers to boast though

I love my MTR's no issues at all , great tire.

had a friend get over 80k on the road and off on his dodge 3500 with the mtr's, so im planning on getting a set in the next couple of weeks.

MTR's, if you don't do a lot of deep mud. For rocks, they would be hard to beat for dual purpose tires. You can get good mileage out of them if you rotate them. Just my $.02

MT/R's cake up bad in mud but hold rock well. If they are not caked. Just my observations while ridding with Rubicon's and other TJ's with em.

I ran 245/75 R16 MT/R's for about a year and a half and loved them, so when I bought new tires a few months back I went with 33x12.5 R15 MT/R's. I was the second owner of the 245's, they're now going back to the previous owner to go on a YJ he's rebuilding. They've lasted a while already and still have some life left.

From my experience, they're a great DD tire. I live in New England and have thrown more bad weather at them than most would. In slippery conditions they do like to slide out sometimes, but my heavy right foot is probably more to blame than the tires. Off road like others mentioned, they're amazing on rock. They'll crawl up just about anything. They aren't as good in mud as other tires, but they're still better than any AT's or street tires I've seen. I tend to avoid mud, but what I have gone through I've never had a problem with.

I love my MTRs.... They are not too bad on pavement and I like them because they are more agressive than stictly Mall Terreain and not as agresive as staight MT.

They do cake up in the mud but less than AT and more than MT. It is a generally good off road tire. However it is a compromise tire.

Jeff

I love my MT/R's but I dont wanna say that they are whats best for everyone. My rig sees maybe 100 miles a week so I dont worry about premature wear or whatnot. If your gona do mostly pavement then Id go with a good AT. I was running general grabber at/lt's and got well over 60K miles on them and they are a little more aggressive than the bfg at's but not as aggressive as mt's. they never let me down and were relitivly cheap and yet very tough and flexy when aired down

just my opinon

A friend of mine with a Rubicon has over 55K on a set and they still look really good, he does very regular 5 tire rotations though. Another friend of mine has a set of 35s on an XJ locked front and rear. He hasn't had them to long but he has not been a real big fan. They will clog with almost anything but rock. It was bone dry yesterday and he got to the top of an obstacle and has some trouble because his tires clogged up WTF?

I run a BFG MT and have been very happy. They have about 12K which isn't much but for as much wheeling marks as they have in them they still drive like brand new.

I have a set of 35" MTR's on my F250 Crew Cab. It looks like they'll only make it about 30k-35k miles, but I'd get another set again in a heartbeat if they made them in 37" for 16" wheels. What little mud experience I have with them has been good. I've been extremely pleased with the wet road performance from them; when the rain hits the cherokee stays in the driveway and the Ford gets to come out to play. They only suffered minor cutting running 40+ psi on trails in the Sierras littered with very sharp rocks. I wasn't moving slow either! (not rock crawling and boulders, just getting from point A to point B).

A friend of mine is running 33's on his xj and has no complaints.

Rev Den said:
I went over 85K on my BFG A/t's
My BFG M/Ts last well over 50K

Rev
`
I call 'BS' on AT's running for 85K. Not just BS but Bull Shit!
Never has happened and never will....unless you run them down to the cords!
I'm not dissing BFG AT's, not at all. They are my favorite DD type tire, and they perform in the sand like you wouldn't believe. But never and I mean never, have I managed anything over 40K out of a set.
Now this isn't from someone who has owned only a set or two of them, more like eight or nine sets (maybe more...) I love the tire, its just not going to last for 85K.....
maybe I'm wrong :dunno: but.....come on..... :D
Rick R

Jump This said:
`
I call 'BS' on AT's running for 85K. Not just BS but Bull Shit!
Never has happened and never will....unless you run them down to the cords!
I'm not dissing BFG AT's, not at all. They are my favorite DD type tire, and they perform in the sand like you wouldn't believe. But never and I mean never, have I managed anything over 40K out of a set.
Now this isn't from someone who has owned only a set or two of them, more like eight or nine sets (maybe more...) I love the tire, its just not going to last for 85K.....
maybe I'm wrong :dunno: but.....come on..... :D
Rick R

ACE ran at least one set of BFG AT's on his XJ up to the 80K-ish mark (4.5" lift/ 31s and 32s IIRC) so it's not BS......he may jump in here, or not. Thanks for being able to admit that your experince is not the end-all. Personally, I never got better that 50K out of my KO's.

I have to chime in here. My 98 xj got 80k+ out of stock size BFG AT's. I still have them on the stock rims sitting on the side of my house. They arent on the cordes, but one did blow out about 2k miles before replacing all of them with 31's. They had about 10% tread left. They are great tires for the street, good in the dry stuff, just suck in mud (DUH!).
-Jerry

I have had a set of 31" BFG ATs, and they where great for what i did with them, dd and they seen some wheeling action. They actually dry rotted before the tread was even half gone. Now im running Goodyear wrangler MT/Rs on my xj, and i love the bite, and the look that they have. They work great in the rocks for traction, but they do seem to be alot softer, are wearing out ALOT faster, and the lugs tear off easy in the rocks. But who knows maybe this is just me.

The mtr's are wearing out kind of fast because they are so soft. IMO, But they are great off road. The AT's I had where on a 1/2ton truck, so I dont know if they would last much longer on a jeep.

I currently run the Cooper ST in 33x12.50 and love them. They are aggressive but run great on the road. They clean well in the mud and grip in the rain. I also ran them on my Jeep before it was lifted in 30x9.50 and they were great as well. The set of 30's are on my sisters Jeep and still going well. Probally 40k on them so far.

Back