• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 question

ZPD

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any difference between the axle used in a 6 cyl Explorer and an 8 cyl Explorer? The junkyard guys are adamant that there is a difference although they can't tell me what the difference is.

perhaps its a different year and one if pre 96 and has drum brakes and the post 96 one if there is has disks

No I know that post 96 has discs I was just curious if they used a different axle in the 96's. So far the results of my webwheeling says that the only difference is that the 8 cyl had the 4:10 option and the 6 cyl had the 3:27 option but both had 3:55 and 3:73

is the pre 96 worth it? with the drum brakes???

I thought the 6 cyl 8.8's where 28 spline like the ranger 8.8.

Dont touch a 8.8 out of anything older than a 96. I got one from a 2000 with low miles, disk brakes and the complete E-brake cable for 350 and that included 4:10 gears and a limited slip. The only difference according to several mechanic buddies of mine, is the available gears. V8 had the 410 option and the V6 didnt have that high of a gearing option. it is called Fords HD Towing option or some crap like that. Just keep shopping, you will find that deal. Took me several weeks of cold calling everyplace I knew.

:link1:

I have found several for $250-$300 that are all post 96 it is just that some are out of a V6 and some out of a V8. Maybe the difference is the splines hmmmm...

As far as I know there is no difference. Rangers are 28 spline and Exploders are 31 no matter what engine.

ZPD said:
No I know that post 96 has discs I was just curious if they used a different axle in the 96's. So far the results of my webwheeling says that the only difference is that the 8 cyl had the 4:10 option and the 6 cyl had the 3:27 option but both had 3:55 and 3:73

My 6 cyl explorer had 4.10's.. it was a newer model though (00 or 01, i forget)

Back