• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Baffled, have a tech question.. Need help

Lifted93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 93 xj's wipers dont work. After getting caught in a crazy storm tonite without wipers i figured id better get them fixed. I checked all the fuses and connections under the dash and couldnt find anything. Is there anything else you guys know that i should look for? Thanks in advance.

I had the same thing.

My problem was in the steering column, on the switch itself.

Mine's a 92.

If I remember right, it is right behind the lower dash panel near the column. I think on the older XJs I've seen it held in place by velcro, but that might not have been factory :) Seems like it was a little square box and it had the same connector on both sides, so it could be removed and bypassed

You mention fuses -- did you check the circuit breaker?

The module is secured by velcro just above your left leg.

Is the circuit breaker the small one one the fuse panel? I found the module, how would I test it to know if that is my problem? Thankyou for your help!

Maybe a silly question, but does the motor still work and the wiper arms just need a tighten. A buddy pointed that out to me a few years back when I was half way through ripping my Samurai dash apart.

Lifted93XJ said:
I found the module, how would I test it to know if that is my problem?

As mentioned above, the connectors on both sides of the module are mirror images of each other, so you can plug them together without the module in line. If the module is bad, your wipers will now work on full on but will stay off on the intermittent settings.

Yes, the small rectangular one on the fuse panel. Test with a meter or any kind of improvised test light such as a flashlight battery and bulb. I don't know how often these fail. My '85 lasted 23 years but I had to pull it from time to time to clean the contacts. Easy to check the intermittent module first as outlined above if you don't have a meter. When my module failed, the high and low speeds still worked with the module installed but I assume this varies.

The thread Pelican referenced was from my earlier troubles with my wipers and the culprit, as he said, turned out to be the control module. I should have checked it first like you did, but I didn't. On the bright side, having unnecessarily removed and reinstalled the wiper motor three times in the course of that repair, I can tell you that it's not very hard and doesn't take any special tools. So if it's not your circuit breaker, replacing the motor could be your next step. I think the replacement motor cost about $50 from autozone (rebuilt).

Also, the circuit breaker has a little button on it - if it tests out not-connected, pushing the button should reset it, so you don't have to buy a new one (which you probably knew from the name, but I just wanted to point that out).

If it's in your switch, that's probably the worst case, and I can't help there. If you're good at reading wiring diagrams, they are in the thread Pelican linked. However, worst case, if you get lost in chasing electrical gremlins, you might keep in mind that you can swap out the whole steering column for $100-150 from a junkyard, and again the task isn't very hard. Everything is plug and play. I recently had to do that also.

Back