• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blown Fuse for gauges

00XJmike

NAXJA Forum User
92 XJ- Instrument gauges not working. Checked the fuse for the gauges and found it blown. Replaced fuse(7.5 amp) and as soon as I turn on the ignition, it blows again.
Any ideas where to start looking? I am checking my grounds as I find them...

when i check the voltage going to the fuse it is 12V. I am assuming this is to much, or it would not keep blowing the fuse. Anybody know what the correct voltage is here?

00XJmike said:
when i check the voltage going to the fuse it is 12V. I am assuming this is to much, or it would not keep blowing the fuse. Anybody know what the correct voltage is here?

There would be a problem if you didn't have 12V on a 12V system. The number on the fuse is for amperage. Do a google search and you can sort out the difference. Usually when something is blowing a fuse right away the best way to find it is to start unplugging things on that circuit and try another fuse. If the fuse doesn't blow, start plugging them back in one by one until it blows. When it blows, then you know where to check.

unplug the gauge cluster and try it again, if it blows the fuse again you have a short in a wire somewhere before it gets to the cluster. it it doesnt blow check the back of the cluster to see of any of the wiring is corroded or worn through, or if any part of the ribbon board (you'll know what im talking about when you look at the back fo the cluster) has any breaks in the circuit paths on it.

good luck, electrical problems are some of the hardest to sort out.
-G

Back