• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Firepower Kit

postalxj

NAXJA Forum User
What do you guys think of this kit? and does any one run this setup?
If so how does it do? and what kind of plugs are you running?
I have a 96 with a 4.0 HO

Thank you

http://www.performancedistributors.com/jeep.htm
Sorry if this is a repost but i could not find one on it but i also have not looked to much.

I have been very busy at work!!

Last edited:
The stock ignition is good for something like 350 HP, there is really no need to go beyond the OEM coil.

However, plug wires are a good thing to upgrade. I would recommend magnecor ($$), but that is of course my opinion.

That and making sure you get brass terminals / inserts for your cap and rotor, and a decent set of plugs (i recommend champion truck plugs) and your all set.

MSD = May Suddenly DIE

the box runs great for most people but I have heard quite a few stories and seen a few randomly fail only to check out ok later, when the owner switched to a backup stock ignition instead of the box it ran fine. The coils and wire sets are very good. But I still regard the ignition box as a race or Offroad only type of thing. And I would pick up a spare incase it fails.

Muad'Dib said:
Its true MSD is usually good for MOST applications. My opinion is that the I6 Jeep is not one of them. The coil is pretty damn good from the factory.

Yup. Can't figure out why everyone is hot over paying hundreds of bucks for something that came from the factory. How often do you hear of a factory coil going bad?

ECKSJAY said:
Yup. Can't figure out why everyone is hot over paying hundreds of bucks for something that came from the factory. How often do you hear of a factory coil going bad?

I had to replace mine, but it was from 1991. It was just not giving quite enough, considering that the stroker runs a higher compression it should not have mattered, but it was a little too dead for that

wolfpackjeeper said:
I had to replace mine, but it was from 1991. It was just not giving quite enough, considering that the stroker runs a higher compression it should not have mattered, but it was a little too dead for that

But that's just the point... Everything will wear out eventually, so just replace with OE and get another 250k out of it. ;)

wolfpackjeeper said:
thats what I did. Works like a charm now

Nice! I had tried different wires and was looking into cap and rotor options when my VERY experienced Jeep mechanic buddy brought that up. I spent less for Mopar everything (wires, cap, rotor) than just the aftermarket wires would have cost...and it worked the best. Only thing I had changed were the plugs. I put the Champion truck plugs in and they lasted longest and seemed to hold up the best.

Ive got the Firepower kit in my 96 XJ and my wifes 99TJ, both with 4.0.
It works fine but probably no better than if you bought new OEM or other high quality pieces. It advertises that you can open the gap.its true, I cant remember what I set the gap at but it was right at what they recommend. I saw some performance gain (smoother idle, quicker response) but that was probably due to simply having new ignition parts.
Bottom line, The Firepower kit works fine but its not really worth the money when you can purchase good uality parts that will do the same thing for less money.

I have the performance kit, don't waste your money. The wires are good but everything else really isn't worth it, IMO.

Back