• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 SYE Questions

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an '89 Wagoneer LTD (XJ) with the NP242 transfer case. Recently got a SYE conversion from Tom Woods. The instructions are more suited for their NP231 conversion...so a little vague for my NP242.

I'm wondering about the snap ring at the tail shaft. I had to remove it to take off the older model speedometer housing, but instructions did not call for it's re-installation. I think the "spacer" provided provides the necessary holding power for the output bearing...but not sure.

Has anyone done this conversion? Can you confirm that I first install the modified seal/bearing housing, then the 3/4" spacer, then the output flange? It seems to fit well that way, but I want to be sure.

Thanks in advance!

lets see a pic, I installed a rubicon express hack and tap same thing?

Your correct, no snap ring, just install the spacer and the bolt/washer outside the yoke.

I'm running the same SYE in my 242.

Thanks for the replies. I thought it should go back together without the snap ring, but wanted to be sure before I buttoned it all back up!

Now, if I could just get the 8.8 done (with an Ected and 4.56 R/P), the front D30 done (new R/P and Eaton E-Locker) and the new rear driveshaft in, I'd be in business! Just a small list, huh? LOL

Back