• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

floor replacement input

MSLD

NAXJA Forum User
My floor is cut out, rocker are also cut out and I just ordered 16 ga sheets for a replacement Way cheaper than floor pans and will be much stronger (rust resistant). I had the shop put a 90 dgree bend that will run along the inside of the door sil (rust ate some of inside and all of my rockers) so I have a good surface upon which to weld. The rest of the shaping will be done by me. I will also be fabing new rockers. I have a Miller 180 w/argoshield that I will use to burn the new floors in. Looking for input on:
1)What is the best seam sealer to use?
2)For those who have done this with 16 ga...any advice before I hit it?

Thanks

Matt

If your replacement work is going to get into the compound curves where the tunnel narrows, I recommend you make templates to fit out of paper and then transfer them onto the metal to cut out. I found that this worked very well. Seams falling on those odd curves look straight, but when you lay them out flat you'll find that some of the lines curve.
Then make sure you coat them with something right away. I used Herculiner and it has held up beautifully.

Thanks,
I made templates out of bristol board and you're right, looks like I have a lot of subtle shaping to do. The trasmision tunel is in good shape. THe rest of the floor...meh. Hurculiner is in the plans and hopefully I will only have to do this once!
IMGP1119.jpg

Yea, that's a mess. Also surprising that your worst spots aren't in the usual places over the muffler and cat.
When you do the Herculiner, put some grease or old bolts or something in the bolt holes so you don't get the Herculiner in them. Wear gloves - once dried that stuff only comes off through time and friction.

You've got your work cut out for ya!!!!! I would cut that foam off as high up on the fire wall as possible. Another good tip is to cut drain holes so you can hose out the inside after a muddy day of wheeling. do you plan on running the interior without carpet after the repair? If so,be prepaired that floor gets HOT!!!

Loks like alot of work, but be patient, take your time and it will come out rosy in the end.....

And please, be careful and don't get the hurc on your hootus....

Some of the rust spots are pretty bad, but they are mostly towards the outside of the floor and into the rockers. I am dropping the gas tank tomorrow and doing the final prep work so I can start the repair. Thanks for all of the tips.
My jeep is becoming more and more a trail toy and less and less of a drive around town rig. I'm not a trailer owner, so my new outlook is if it isn't needed, it gets cut off and if it's broken, it gets fixed with something stronger. It just needs to be street legal to get to the trails. I'll let you guys kow how it turns out.

Thanks

Matt

when i removed the carpet it looked pretty close to what you got there. i didnt have a welder at the time so i used aluminum tow signs and pop rivets then herculined the floor, came out great. shaping some of the sheets is time consuming......i had worked on the jeep at my house for a few days then brought it to work and put it in the garage to finish prep and apply herculiner.

I'm now balls deep into the project and HOLLY CRAP is it a lot of work (time). That's it...that's all I wanted to say.

On the up side, My floors will be really strong.

Matt

:cheers: That sounds like every project I've ever undertaken with my Jeep! :D

Back