• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 XJ - Way to add comfort/power button for trans?

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious if it is possible to add a comfort/power button for the trans to a 95 XJ? Not sure if it would need a different control box or what, if you could just wire it up and all...thanks!

I've really only seen these used in the Renix 4.0Ls 87-90'. I had one in my 1st XJ my 89' 2 dr AW4/242

You might be able to duplicate this with a computer chip or a control module. I think they make one for your year. I rarely messed with this option on my 89'. You will see a lot in a auto trans by how heavy or light your right foot is on the skinny pedal anyways. If I were you I'd get the performance chip and/or Brett's shift kit so you can shift when you want with the turn of a rotary switch, or his bling bling paddles, video game joy stick etc.

Troy

You would probably have to graft in a RENIX TCU - but the HO was hardwired into the "Power" setting anyhow. Since the Power setting also firms up the shifts somewhat, it is also good for causing less wear on the clutches in the transmission, which is probably why it was done that way. The "Power/Comfort" toggle is a silly idea, and I'll usually hardwire it into "power" myself and just use the toggle for something else (like auxiliary lighting...)

5-90

Take control of your AW4 with Brett's kit...that is all. :D

The older Power Comfort switch should have been name "Power" or 'Economy".
My 87 gets 4 mpg more in comfort mode.
18 power. 21 comfort mode

what yrs did they use those cuz i heard it was up til like 91 but my couzins 95 had it from the factory

Somebody have to give it a try...:)

Here's the TCU wiring for the 88XJ/MJ and 93XJ.

On the trucks without Power Switch there is constant 12v to the TCU's pin C11 (ignition on)

As fare as I can see, the only thing to do is to cut the tan wire from TCU pin C11 and install a switch w/control light.

-93 without
TCU93-AW4.jpg

-88 with power switch.
TCU88-AW4.jpg

I have it on my '91 so it wasnt just for the renix. Just an fyi. I never put in the 'power' mode and I get about 20mpg on the highway.

My 89 got 25 mpg on a highway trip once, in comfort mode. My 96 dosen't get anywhere near that mileage, and the shift points are at a higher rpm. Surely the power/comfort switch can't be the reason.....?

Someone needs to do this mod (breaking the #11 pin circuit), and report back to us less adventurous individuals.....

Someone needs to do this mod (breaking the #11 pin circuit), and report back to us less adventurous individuals.....

Isn't this the "comfort" position?

I think it would be, according to the posted wiring diagrams. I always ran my 89 in the "comfort" mode, and it seemed to shift quicker at a lower rpm than my 96. (Under normal driving conditions.)

Just a side note... on my '96 sport, there is no wire connected to TCU C11. The spot on the connector is empty. So, I guess the hardwiring is actually inside the controller for my model. If that is so, would one be able to just use a controller from a diff year? Say, from a 1988? And then just add the wire to the connector at C11 and run it to the switch? Hmmm...

Back