• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

distributor collar

downhillracer

NAXJA Forum User
How does the collar on the distributor sit? I took the distributor out and when I did a metal u shaped piece fell on the floor. Does it go above or below the tab on the dizzy? Sorry for the newb question.... I've never pulled this out before.

make sure you put the distributor back in time or the truck wont start

does anybody have a step by step walk through for indexing a renix dizzy? I have searched for about an hour and cant come up with anything. Im having a hell of a time finding tdc on the compression stroke.

I use a compression guage to find the compressin stroke #1, Crank the motor over by hand and you will see the needle jump as you turn the motor over on the comp. stroke. Use a peice of rubber hose about a foot long dropped into the #1 spark plug hole and when it reaches its highest point #1 is TDC. There should be a mark on the harmonic balancer but I no longer trust those marks(I found out the hard way that the marks are not always 100% accurate)

Now what you need to do is drop the dizzy in so that the rotor lines up on #1 terminal or maybe just a little past #1 terminal. You may have trouble getting the oil pump drive lined up with the dizzy gear, use a long flat blade screw driver and stick it into the OP drive and rotate it to where you need it to line up with the dizzy gear.

Ok.... Im pretty sure that I found tdc on #1 compression. I dropped in the dizzy after several attempts at lining up the rotor to the 1 post and the oil pump shaft. i cranked it and it started but it is idling rough and I can hear a hissing sound coming from the distributor or around that area. Any suggestions?

downhillracer said:
Ok.... Im pretty sure that I found tdc on #1 compression. I dropped in the dizzy after several attempts at lining up the rotor to the 1 post and the oil pump shaft. i cranked it and it started but it is idling rough and I can hear a hissing sound coming from the distributor or around that area. Any suggestions?

Don't know about the hissing, but for the rough idle try advancing a tooth and see if it will run. If that doesn't work then go back a tooth from where you just started.

I know that you cant adjust a HO dizzy this way, and I am pretty sure that you cannot do a renix this way as well. close is good, the computer does the rest(at least HO). I want to say that somebody on here, 5-90?, cut the clocking foot off of one and twisted it 180deg just to see and it still ran just fine. Not like a SBC.

wolfpackjeeper said:
I know that you cant adjust a HO dizzy this way, and I am pretty sure that you cannot do a renix this way as well. close is good, the computer does the rest(at least HO). I want to say that somebody on here, 5-90?, cut the clocking foot off of one and twisted it 180deg just to see and it still ran just fine. Not like a SBC.

That was me, others have played with it as well. I had an issue with mine that I was able to cure by cutting the foot and clocking the dizzy. My engine is not exactly "stock" though, but its not a stroker either. By clocking the dizzy you are actually messing with the fuel delivery timming but thats a long story. My 90 runs strong after working on the dizzy but I have a different cam and its been bored, milled, and decked.

Here is the thread, start reading at post #33

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=937822&page=3&highlight=Mat+other+renix+issues

Back