• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wide tires steering problems

yellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
I've got 31x13.5 bias swampers on 15x10 wheels on my "new" xj. No lockers. Each time I go out to tellico I bend the drag link, bent the tie rod once on guard rail and once on the rock pile at the shop , bent the tie rod with out noticing anything hitting it....so why is my steering bending all the time? Extra leverage from the wide 31's? Extra traction? No lockers so its not pulling evenly? My wifes xj w/ 35's and lockers doesnt bend any of her stock components on the trail...the bends the snot out of tierods on the rock pile but thats after pushing rocks...

it didnt bend here...a little further up the hill it did though

I think that you have answered you own question with your first sentence. a 13.5 tire on 10 wide rims and stock steering and by the looks of your picture you not "pussyfooting" it through the trail. Steering is one of the most common overlooked upgrades that seem to be missed. I tacoed tie rods and drag links and then just bucked up and put on 1-ton steering and have not had a single problem since. I might add that IO was bending rods with 31's and them even more so when I went to 33's.

:) usually I'm not trying that hard, I really wanted to make it up guardrail on 31's with no lockers though...its a goal...used to 1 tons and 35's on my last xj. I've driven a lot of xj's. All my friends drive xj's. Mostly locked on 33's and I'm the only one with problems every time...I figured my wifes xj with 35's and a locker on stock front parts should be bent all over...V8 zj steering is stronger than xj steering right? Its been a long time since I was this near stock. With 31" baja claws I didnt have any issues...only had them on for one ride but went up lower2 and slick rock, just before they closed. :(

What to do...ditch the 31x13.5's and go back to 31x10.5 or 32x9.5's? The goal of my xj is to have a DD capable of real trail riding...spend money on 1 ton steering? these 31x13.5's are super heavy, even on alum wheels...hmmm...its got to be a bolt on solution too..thats another goal of this xj. All bolt on.

Is bolting on one of my friends tie rods ok? They are made of 1.25 x .25 DOM IIRC. I have one laying around that is slightly bent. Let me know if you want it. Maybe we can work out a trade! By the way the line for you is to the left. LOL!

to the left? I think that bounce was after the 2nd time I had slid down. I did make it a little more than half way...the front tires were to the easy part when my tie rod bent...the guys behind me may have been tired of waiting for a xj with no lockers to try...then they (built toyota and sami) both rolled going up so michelle got to winch them with her xj. Good fun that day.

Look at where the centerlines of your wheels are in relation to the steering knuckle. The axis created by the knuckle is supposed to go through the center if the tire. On yours, it looks like the tire is completely outside that axis. That means leverage on your steering components.

thanks all. I'm begining to think that the wide tires are going to be a constant upgrade causing problem...new steering, subframe reinforcement, steering box replacement, etc etc...so I guess I'll sell them and the 15x10's

Thats weird I haven't hand any problems with my 33x13.5 with 10 inch rims. I haven't driven it a ton lately but the last two trips I did drive it somewhat hard, and haven't bent any of the stock steering or anything.

Back