• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 transmission - no 4th gear...Range Sensor???

David B.

NAXJA Member #490
Well, my check engine light is on and the local transmission shop told me it is a range sensor. At this same time I seem have lost my 4th gear and OD. Therefore on the road/freeway I am staying in 3rd gear.

After doing some research the only thing I have found on range sensors is that when they go bad it makes your reverse lights inoperable, nothing about the transmission defaulting to third gear. Could it be the control module?

Can someone help me out?

Wow, that website is very informative. I will try cleaning/rebuilding the NSS and then go from there. Hopefully that is all it is.

Would it cause the check engine light to kick on though?

Yeah. Marcus (go-jeep) has quite the collection of helpful writeups.

Yes it will cause the check engine light. If the tranny computer sees the transmission in a different gear than the range-selector indicates, or movement when the range-selector isn't saying its in gear then it will throw the P0700 and P0705 codes.

Back