• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another tire thread....

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to gather some info on these tires...anyone have any experience with them?They are the definity dakota m/t's...second to the last on this page:
http://www.pepboys.com/tires_wheels/tires/light_trucks_suvs/
They have a 40k warranty and look like they would do decent enough in mud and snow while having good decent road manners due to the sipeing.

I wasn't able to get a price because Pep Boys is the absolute bottom of the barrel when it comes to customer service......they should be fairly cheap since they have a buy three get the fourth free deal going on....

I worked @ notPEPboys for a while i agree with thier customer service. SUCKS!!!!.

However, i have heard that those tires did okay in mud but really excelled on the rocks. that was from a toyota guy who wheeld on 40" mtrs. they might be worth a shot but you have to watch out on the buy three get the fourth free thing. they will nickle and dime you to where you pay more for just buying the fourth tire any ways!!!! and it is all mby mail in rebate. READ ALL OF THE FINE PRINT!!!!!

Josh.

they are an AWESOME tire, I run the 285x75x16s on my cherokee and love them.. great in rocks,sand mud, snow, and pretty descent on the road, If I ever wear out the ones, I have now, I would definatly buy another set.. hope this helps

Eh, unless they're really cheap and that's what you're looking for, go with some TrXus MT's...good road manners and noise, and the best snow performance of any mud terrain I've ever used.

Yea the person I spoke to quoted me prices on the A/T....
Told them(again) I wanted prices on the M/T....
didn't have a 33x10.50 or 33x12.50 or 34 or 35.....are tires sizes limited on this brand or is it just Pep Boys?
Oh,and their site sucks ballzs also!!!
Who else sells this tire?I hate dealing with retarded Pep Boys....(If you couldn't tell already...lol)

WheelinJR said:
Eh, unless they're really cheap and that's what you're looking for, go with some TrXus MT's...good road manners and noise, and the best snow performance of any mud terrain I've ever used.

Yea but they wear too fast for a DD tire.....typical swamper life expectancy.These tires have a 40k mile warranty....I know I will be trading off some offroad performance compared to my swamper ltb's but I'm willing to do that in favor of a tire that is better behaved on the road and wears long.

I had 2 sets,they sucked big time!

No,zero traction under wet or muddy conditions.On the street they were extremely scary!Offroad they were just worthless!

yeah i worked in the tire room at a pep boys for 3 weeks and i was actually thinking about those tires. but then i got fired for some stupid BS but those tires looked worthless to me the tread pattern was aweful

Crimzon316 said:
yeah i worked in the tire room at a pep boys for 3 weeks and i was actually thinking about those tires. but then i got fired for some stupid BS but those tires looked worthless to me the tread pattern was aweful
The tread pattern is the same as the other "copy's",it's the compound that sucks!

Funny, I saw a taco with a mild lift today at lunch running these tires!! I kept staring at them to read the sidewalls and see what they were....he must thought it was weird seeing as how I was in my XJ on Q78 TSLs looking at his little 32" MTs!! They looked halfway decent to me for a cheap mud tire.

I think cheap mud tires are great! My other XJ is rocking some mastercraft MTs with 1/4 tread at best. It's locked and I love whipping around on the streets in those things!! I rip down the highway in the rain at 80 mph, no swaybars, no issues. Yeah I can spin them when the road is wet, but they don't rip loose if I don't want them to.

If they're the right price, get em. Obviously they're not TSLs....and they're gonna last longer on the road than TSLs!!! That's the trade-off!! I hate driving my TSLs on the road, although they do go fine down the highway at 70-75 mph, I know they don't last forever and I'd rather wear em down wheeling that on the pavement. That's where the MT compromise comes in. They work pretty darn good offroad, and they don't wear down as fast as swampers. They can't be any worse than an AT!!!!

If you want a cheap mud tire check out these. Federal - Courgia MT. A lot of mom and pop tire stores can get them for you. 31's about $100@; or 33's about $125. I love em...great traction.:wave1:

P9040142.jpg

outlander said:
Yea but they wear too fast for a DD tire.....typical swamper life expectancy.These tires have a 40k mile warranty....I know I will be trading off some offroad performance compared to my swamper ltb's but I'm willing to do that in favor of a tire that is better behaved on the road and wears long.

I disagree.

I had about 12-13K miles on my 33's when I sold them with tons of daily driving, and alot of extreme rally abuse. They were probably 85% - 90% all around at that mileage.

I would've expected about 40K out of them easily.

I got a set of these at VIP, so far so good. Hopefully weheeling this weekend to find out more.
P1020218.jpg

Wild Country RVT. Cheap brand made by cooper, I think it was. Paid ~130/tire.

I wonder what the warranty is on those wild country's?

I guess what I'm looking for is a tire that offers a little more offroad-ability than my street BFG A/T's while lasting just about as long on the road.Any recommendations?

Don't get me wrong,I love my BFG A/T'S but I need something a little more trail worthy for my daily driver.The terrain we see here is alot of woods and mud.The A/T's do ok in light mud if you keep them spun out.....

Eventually this problem will be solved when I get a honda for a daily.Then I can leave the swampers on and warwagon parked till the weekend.

Back