• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing glass.. wing window

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
I had to bust out my wing window after locking my keys in the rig last week... second time in a month and i'm out of spare windows. :looser:

Local yards dont have an operable vent window in good shape. A bud has one in a parts rig but it has power windows and we cannot power the main window down to pull the window/frame. But he came up with an idea...

Can i simply unbolt the window from the upper pivot and use a heat gun in the bottom where it sits in the frame? It looks to be some type of adhesive.

What type of adhesive do i use to reinstall?

TIA..

OverlandXJ said:
I had to bust out my wing window after locking my keys in the rig last week... second time in a month and i'm out of spare windows. :looser:

Local yards dont have an operable vent window in good shape. A bud has one in a parts rig but it has power windows and we cannot power the main window down to pull the window/frame. But he came up with an idea...

Can i simply unbolt the window from the upper pivot and use a heat gun in the bottom where it sits in the frame? It looks to be some type of adhesive.

What type of adhesive do i use to reinstall?

TIA..
Often times, the adhesive is old enough you can pull it right out. I just did this the other day since and I got that lucky. I would think any silicone would be fine when reinstalling.

yes, do as ehall said and use jumper wires in the door, i do it in the junkyard everytime i need something out of a door. the battery pack for a cordless drill works perfect.

BIGSLVRXJ said:
Often times, the adhesive is old enough you can pull it right out. I just did this the other day since and I got that lucky. I would think any silicone would be fine when reinstalling.

Yeah, gonna give this a try.

ehall... i'v done the replacement several times, first time replacing glass into an existing frame though. I want just the glass from a buds parts rig.. his pivot/spring assembly at the bottom has some corrosion/tight and i question it's life expectancy before breaking.

Back