• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 swaps

Stroketech

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 XJ with the vac disconect for the 4x4. I am wondering what the best way to eliminate that system and still run the Dana 30. I have heard rumors of putting shafts out of a newer cherokee to eliminate the two piece passenger side shaft. But I was wondering if I needed to upgrade the transfer case as well. I do alot of highway driving on ice in the winter and would like a better set up that I can run atleast 55 mph with and have it dependable.

Sounds like you want full tine or a 241/2. If the axle ant brok don't fix it (IMO). It a 88 and still holding up for you.
If you change the front axle/shaft you will need a new tcase for sure. You have the 207 tcase right. No 2 wheel drive With that tcase.
If you want Full Time just drop in a the 242 and leave the axle locked in. Also by engaging 4 low part time on the tcase but poop the axle out. You will have 2 low. Beloved by towers all over the world. Ok, by me anyway. :)

Hey Badron way to give horrible information!!!!!!!!

First off there is no 241 case unless you are talking about the newer Rubicon case which is still a part time case and is also called the NV 241 .You are right about the 242 case some how and that is the all wheel drive case.Next the 207 case is a part time case just like the NP 231 .

Now I do agree with one thing you said.If it's not broke don't fix it.

To answer the OP you have a few choices.you can 1 go to a manually operated axle disco to make it more reliable. 2 drop in one piece shafts into your housing.This can be a pain to A-find the proper seal that goes in the place of the stock on in the disco housing or B-grind the diff housing to except a seal next to the carrier like a standard axle would have. 3 find an axle out of a later model Xj that doesn't have the disconnect.

Having a different T-case to give you all wheel drive will not help you drive on ice any better then what you already have.When trying to stop at 55 on ice it won't make a difference what case you have.

What case do you currently have? This will help in giving you the proper information to what you asked.If you don't know you can poke your head under the vehicle on the back of the case there is a tag that will tell you.

badron said:
but poop the axle out.

Sounds painful.

The NV241 IS a viable swap, I'm pretty sure it's a bolt in, but I doubt that's what you're looking for. The 231 is part time only, and the 242 has fulltime 4wd, but I'm from Georgia, so I don't really know what helps on ice...

Thanks for all the info so far. I'll have to pop my head under there tomorrow. I am interested in doing the manual engagement setup that you speak of but would like to try it on my own due to the kits being $200. In MN we have black ice and ofcourse snowy roads and I pretty much drive 55-60 everywhere I go. Not hard to do when you know how to do it. Reason i'm asking this is this is the first jeep i've owned and all of my previous and current 4x4's can roll in 4x4 at any speed you want. Just curious if the Jeep setup can handle that.

Uh ya I have had mine up to 75 in 4 wheel drive with no issues.As for the manual engagement ,it's pretty easy to make your own just do some searches here or google I'm sure you'll find a write up.

Wil Badger said:
Uh ya I have had mine up to 75 in 4 wheel drive with no issues.As for the manual engagement ,it's pretty easy to make your own just do some searches here or google I'm sure you'll find a write up.

Thanks. Ok I just found some info thanks to the advanced search option. That works much better. I might try to find a front axle out of a newer one. Since i'm wanting to get rid of my Peugeot trans in favor of an AX15 I may just get one with a transfercase to match the non disco front axle. Thanks again for all your info.

Last edited:
Back