• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my tire pressure way too low?

w0mps

NAXJA Forum User
I did the chalk line trick and it seemed to work, but I still think my pressure is too low. 99XJ pretty much stock with a lift, no bumpers, winch, etc. I have 32x11.50x15 BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A. I am at about 25 PSI on each of the tires, it's my daily driver? Input, suggestions?

Heck, I have mine at 35psi (same exact tire) on the street on my DD. I drop it down to 12psi wheeling.

w0mps said:
I did the chalk line trick and it seemed to work, but I still think my pressure is too low. 99XJ pretty much stock with a lift, no bumpers, winch, etc. I have 32x11.50x15 BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A. I am at about 25 PSI on each of the tires, it's my daily driver? Input, suggestions?

Sounds about right... You didn't say why you thought the pressure was too low. :) I personally wouldn't run that size any more than 27psi if I absolutely had to. I ran the BFG MT tires at 25 for a few years and a 33x12.50 MT/R at 24psi. My 37" MT/Rs I run now are at 24 also, but the rig is quite a bit heavier than the last one with 33s.

w0mps said:
Ah I don't know I was lifting the Jeep with a floor jack and it took awhile for the tire to come off the ground :)

Sounds like an operator tolerance issue to me. :D:D:D

Chalk line doesn't lie. :) If you don't like it, add a couple of psi. Big tires on light vehicles require lower pressure...and there's a lot of surface area and material to pick up when you jack it.

It's one of those humps you eventually get over. When I worked at the 4WD shop I had guys look at me like I had two heads when I told them that 35psi was way too much to run on their larger Jeep tires. ;)

25 pounds might be a little soft in a 32" but I run 28 in my 31"s.Like everyone has been saying, these are Jeeps we are driving , not heavy full size trucks. The bungholes at Les Schwab always send my jeeps home with 35lbs in the 31"s. They put 42lbs in the 33" tires on my F-150. I run them at 32lbs. They say they do it for better mileage, but I think they're just trying to sell tires sooner. This is what tire guys do, sell tires & too high of a pressure wears out tires faster.

I run my 33's at 33psi, they are 33x10.50 BFG AT TKO's. I have almost perfect wear on them, and not much tread loss after about 15k mi. I believe that was the recommended tire pressure on the side wall. When I run them lower, my speed qualities, handling, and MPG all go down in a big way. Acceleration and braking go much better with the higher pressure as well.

I run my 32x11.50 BFG KOs at 28-30 psi, on 8" wheels. The tire stores always sent you out the door with the max pressure for insurance reasons. If you have a blowout, the vehicle owner could blame them for an under inflated tire.

the sidewall doesn't reccomend a tire pressure, that would be impossible considering all of the various vehicles and conditions that affect how much air pressure it needs.
Like said above, chalk line won't lie

it has a max cold pressure... all of them do it is required by the DOT

I want to say it was 42psi on the sidewall but I may be off. I played around with the pressures for a week or so and figured out that it drove better with the higher pressure. I also get 4-5mpg more with 5-7psi higher pressure (25-33). Tire life is good stuff, but handling, braking, and mileage could end up costing more in the long run

I brought my rig in for a tire rotation (city life sucks) and they sent me home with 65 PSI! I could feel something was wrong because every pebble was jarring.
This was on 31x10.5 mtr's.

fscrig75 said:
When you chalk the tires do you do all four or just one?

I do them all, or at least one front/one rear. Weight may not be the same front and back. :)

Also keep in mind that new tire sidewalls are a little stiff. I like a wheeling trip or two aired down low to soften them up. :D

i have 35 X12.50X8 on my rig. i run about 30 ish in them most days. the wear is good and even and the ride aint bad.

whats recommended, in yalls opinion

Hey Wolfpackjeaper do you have a pic of your XJ I was thinking of running that same tire.

I weighed my jeep and did the calculations. I have 33X12.5 Toyo AT's and I am running 23 PSI on DD. I drop down to 12psi to wheel.

Back