• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arms to stock?

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
How hard/easy would it be to return an XJ back to stock after long arms have been installed? More specifically the LCA bracket area. It seems like all the long arm designs require the removal of the LCA brackets.

One of my concerns about going with a long arm setup is the ability to return back to stock. If I wanted to transfer the suspension over to a new rig in a few years, it seems like I would have no choice but to scrap the old rig.

Anyone ever dealt with this?

Pretty much .If you cut that lower control arm mount its done.Either you sell it with the suspension or you drive it tills its dead then transfer it to a new vehicle.

:eeks1:
Wil Badger said:
Pretty much .If you cut that lower control arm mount its done.Either you sell it with the suspension or you drive it tills its dead then transfer it to a new vehicle.

X2

Is there any spesific reason why LCA mounts can't be welded in again? Surely if one can create mounts for the long arms further back, one can just as well weld new short arm brackets back in to reverse the long arm mod.

I think you'd be better off selling it with the longarms. There is probably some enthusiast out there who would pay an extra $800 for the longarms already installed, especially someone who can't do the welding and other work himself. That would save a lot of labor cost. Or are you talking about retiring it to grocery getting or something?

TORX said:
How hard/easy would it be to return an XJ back to stock after long arms have been installed? More specifically the LCA bracket area. It seems like all the long arm designs require the removal of the LCA brackets.

One of my concerns about going with a long arm setup is the ability to return back to stock. If I wanted to transfer the suspension over to a new rig in a few years, it seems like I would have no choice but to scrap the old rig.

Anyone ever dealt with this?

Once upon a time you could get the LCA brackets from the dealer parts dept. One of the first mods a lot of guys were doing was the MJ LCA brackets. My XJ still has them from when the PO modded it back in the day. The longarm setup he built didn't interfere with the LCA brackets, so he really didn't see a point in cutting them off. You might check around and see if you can find any new ones. I highly doubt the dealer is going to have them anymore, but it's worth a shot. Probably not a real popular item, so they may have stock of them.

gorman said:
Is there any spesific reason why LCA mounts can't be welded in again? Surely if one can create mounts for the long arms further back, one can just as well weld new short arm brackets back in to reverse the long arm mod.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done but the for the average person this is not an option.Either they have no welding experience or not enough to be able to weld new brackets onto what is essentially sheet metal .

Wil Badger said:
That's what I figured. I don't like the thought of having to part it out/scrap it, but then again 5 years from now, the Jeep in stock form will probably only be worth a couple hundred bucks.

ECKSJAY said:
Once upon a time you could get the LCA brackets from the dealer parts dept. One of the first mods a lot of guys were doing was the MJ LCA brackets. My XJ still has them from when the PO modded it back in the day. The longarm setup he built didn't interfere with the LCA brackets, so he really didn't see a point in cutting them off. You might check around and see if you can find any new ones. I highly doubt the dealer is going to have them anymore, but it's worth a shot. Probably not a real popular item, so they may have stock of them.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to give the dealer a call tomorrow and see if they have them listed. I never would have guessed you could buy them.

What's the difference between XJ and MJ brackets?

TORX said:
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to give the dealer a call tomorrow and see if they have them listed. I never would have guessed you could buy them.

What's the difference between XJ and MJ brackets?

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/SRlowerCtrlArmMount/lcamount.htm

The Paul Wietlauf that Scott refers to in that article is the owner of the Jeep in this pic below. The MJ brackets were to replace these ones that were torn off the Jeep during a heavy wheeling trip. When he did that beef-up the PO of my XJ ordered the brackets and welded them on. ;)

irc98carnage.jpg

If you wheel it hard there not going to be much left to sell anyway. 400 in scrap iron. If I craw under a 4WD and see a bunch of welding I run like hell. I get paid to fixs someone else problems. I don't buy them. Wheel it till it drops. Them move on. (IMO)
2. transfer the long arms? They ant making Cherokee anymore and the newest one is now 7 years old. (I got two 01s :) )There will not be much out there soon with the fleet ageing like that to transfer to. There a good chance you will find a better deal on another make of 4WD. Making your long arms useless (maybe)
Once again when she drop in her tracks. Be kind put a bullet between her headlamps and walk away clean. (IMO)

TORX said:
That's what I figured. I don't like the thought of having to part it out/scrap it, but then again 5 years from now, the Jeep in stock form will probably only be worth a couple hundred bucks.

the jeep might be worth more as scrap at that point.

Back