• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low Speed Only on HVAC blower

TomMcD

NAXJA Forum User
After searching for a while and finding lots of posts for High speed only, bad thermal fuses and melted switches I'm stuck.

Just to be different the fan on my 96 only blows on low speed. Heat, Vent, Defrost all work normaly so the flapper valve works. Has AC, but not charged

Being in 45 degrees and rain with soft doors leads to :shiver: and is encouraging me to move this up on my priority list.

Haven't checked any components yet, I'm looking for a place to start before I start throwing parts at it.

Thanks

Spend a few minutes and pull the resistor pack. Check each coil for continuity. Then check the plug with the meter to be sure that you have current with each setting of the fan speed switch.

All of this should only take a few minutes and will rule out the most likely culprits.

The resistor pack that bolts into the AC/Heater box under the dash is almost always the culprit for this. It bolts into the box, under the glove box side of the dash. There is usually a plastic cover screwed on that covers it, in the foot well. If you were in the passenger seat and tried to kick up under the dash, that is the area I'm talking about.

Yes, testing it first is always wise, but if your going to start throwing parts at it, the resister pack is the place to start, they cost about $20 from most local parts places.

Rick Anderson said:
The resistor pack that bolts into the AC/Heater box under the dash is almost always the culprit for this. It bolts into the box, under the glove box side of the dash. There is usually a plastic cover screwed on that covers it, in the foot well. If you were in the passenger seat and tried to kick up under the dash, that is the area I'm talking about.

Yes, testing it first is always wise, but if your going to start throwing parts at it, the resister pack is the place to start, they cost about $20 from most local parts places.
This will help in regards to your thermal fuse in your resistor pack...........
http://www.geocities.com/chmwatson/FAQs/Jeep/HVAC-fuselink_fix.html

I fixed mine for $1.40...........:thumbup:

I had a bad contact (partial burned out wire) between the fan and the relay. Put a new wire from the relay behind the glove compartment to the fan and all is good now.

Back