• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will a TJ Dana 30 bolt into an XJ?

ECHO1_19

NAXJA Forum User
I found a good deal on a '98 TJ dana 30 with 4:11's. I'd like to regear my '99 XJ for 4:11's. Will the TJ front axle bolt right into my XJ leaving me to just regear my Chrysler 8.25?
Thanks!

Yes but you're stuck with a LPD30 (Low pinion Dana 30) which is the least desirable axle.

However depending on tire size you should be fine with it.

MoparManiac said:
Yes but you're stuck with a LPD30 (Low pinion Dana 30) which is the least desirable axle.

However depending on tire size you should be fine with it.

x2 get an XJ D30

ECHO1_19 said:
I found a good deal on a '98 TJ dana 30 with 4:11's. I'd like to regear my '99 XJ for 4:11's. Will the TJ front axle bolt right into my XJ leaving me to just regear my Chrysler 8.25?
Thanks!

you can get a d30 out of a 4 banger Xj most of those have 4.10s and you could grab both axles. I think it might be harder to find a 4.10 8.25 though.

JR aka RJROffRoad said:
Weren't the later XJ D30's low pinion as well? I thought they switched somewhere around 98-00??

2000 and 2001 had LP D30s from the factory.

ECHO1_19 said:
Well, it was worth asking the question. I'm probably better off just regearing the HP30 that's under it now. Thanks!

Honestly, IMO you're better off swaping in axles from a 2.5L XJ. It will mostly like cost less then a gear swap, will be much easier, and you will have spare axle shafts and other parts. For the rear axle, look for a 97+ 8.25 so you can upgrade to 29 spline shafts at the same time.

cherokee chuck said:
:pirate1: I'm gonna hijack with a related question. Did they ever use the D44 in an 87/90 4 cyl XJ? I've never seen one, but factory 4.10s in a 44 would be a slick deal.

don't think pretty sure it was only in 4.0l with towing packages/randomly chosen vehichles.

I've heard rumors of the 2.5L/AW4 combo coming with 4.56s...Just rumors though, I have no means of confirming without doing a google search, and well, I'm just not that interested in proving something exists that I will likely never see...:D:D

Darky said:
I've heard rumors of the 2.5L/AW4 combo coming with 4.56s...Just rumors though, I have no means of confirming without doing a google search, and well, I'm just not that interested in proving something exists that I will likely never see...:D:D

The part about the 4.56s in stock axles isn't a rumor...just not very common. Definitely with a 4 banger....not sure of the exact drivetrain though. For proof that they did exist, find a junkyard that has an on-line search engine thingy, and if you search for front or rear axles for late 80s XJs, it will give you 4.56 gearing as an option. I also have some jeep books that show that there were XJs that came with 4.56s....but the thing is, they were so underpowered that they really needed the 4.56s to get going!!

And I'm pretty sure that XJ Dana 44s did not come with 4.10s.....although there is always a chance!!

Darky said:

Ive heard said said rummors too I believe they were all colorado vehicks (w/D60s F/R).

WaXJ_Skier said:
Ive heard said said rummors too I believe they were all colorado vehicks (w/D60s F/R).

88XJaxlegearing.jpg

This is what options come up with you search for a rear axle for an 88 XJ.

I was joking about the D60s but I have heard of the 4.56 rigs and heard they were Market specific for high mountain markets such as CO

WaXJ_Skier said:
I was joking about the D60s but I have heard of the 4.56 rigs and heard they were Market specific for high mountain markets such as CO

That would make sense. Never been able to find any around here with stock 4.56!!

You could find the 4.56's in an 2.5L 4 cylinder with an auto trans, but that's a nearly impossible find, and I am pretty sure you'd only find the d30/d35 combo in them. I seriously doubt they ever backed an XJ/2.5L with a Dana 44.

Back