• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building new axles for an xj

Jeepguy91

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Well i am looking at putting in a dana 44 and ford 9" axles into my xj. Just wondering if anybody can tell me exactly what all brackets i will need to get to make these work in my xj. I know that the rear only needs shock mounts and leaf perches but don't really know how to go about on the front.

Also, the ones i am looking at are out of a early bronco and have the radius arms still on the front. Is there anyway that i can still use this instead of control arms? Are there any benefits of using this style over the control arms?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

Cant be done, its impossible..

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise...

ur killling me zach.

does the 44 have cast mounts or welded. You want welded, cast cant be removed. And any number of companies make the mounts you will need, get a tape measure and a level indicator and you will be good to go.

as much as Zacs words is as close to gospel as can be found on here, I thought I'd try this search term;
"bronco axles"
give that page a look over, and at the bottom of each of the threads (very bottom left of page) you'll find even more, related threads.

Personally, I think it would be easier to swap the XJ body in place of the Bronco body and run it that way. As opposed to swapping the axles, which require extensive fabrication skills to make work under and XJ frame.

Go for 73-78 ford truck axles.... disk brakes... solid tubes.. no cast bullcrap

I know that i want the welded mounts rather than the cast mounts. I have read that people have had to turn their knuckles. At what heigh would i have to do that? I am only looking to run around 6.5" lift and maybe 36" tsl's. What do you guys think of rusty's mounts for the axles? Or should i go with the TNT setup and get a truss for the front?

Tnt Truss, much simpler... And most likely dont have to turn knuckles at 6.5"

SANY0091-1.jpg

frontend-1-1.jpg

here are some picks of my TnT truss on a 76-77 ford f-100 HP dana44 which had weld on wedges. TnT now offers trusses for more dana44's on their web page.

Back