• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Super 30?

XJJJ

NAXJA Forum User
Thinking of upgrading an HP 30. Anyone running Superior's Super 30 kit with the new ARB? It's been out for awhile, but I haven't seen any write ups on it. I've talked to a few distributors and they say it looks pretty awesome.

Another point that makes the D30 a loser is the ball joints. They're weak & will break shortly after you break a ujoint or shaft. This makes trail fixes much more stressful.

I've seen the D44's break the ball joints/knuckles after an axle joint goes.....IF you drive on it and catch the axle yokes against each other. Many D44's are built with TJ D30 knuckles and ball joints, and they seem to be holding up......don't hear much (any?) complaining about them.

It's very amazing how well a D30 can hold up. The housing/tube flex does need to be dealt with if running big tires, but the ring and pinion rarely break. The problem with really building a D30 is that you'll have as much or more tied up in it as you would in a D44. A super D30 would be with the 30 spline (1.31") Super 30 inner axles, and a Warn 5 on 5.5" hub kit which also comes with chromo 30 spline (1.31") stub axles. That setup, as far as axle strength goes, would be stronger than any D44. Warn inner D44 axles would be the same, but D44 stub axles are 19 spline and (I think) 1.24" diameter.

The cost of a Super 30 kit and a Warn 5 on 5.5" hub kit are easily as much as a D44, so you'd have to really want to run the D30 for some reason for it to be worth it, but it would be pretty strong.

Warn Hub Conversion Needed?

To my knowledge, the Super 30 kit stands on its own, no need for the Warn hub conversion. It comes with Superior inner & outer shafts, u-joints & the 30 spline ARB. Thought about the TJ front 44 but from reading these posts, it doesn't seem worth it. I'm running 33's now, & will possibly go to 35's in the future.

I went to a super 30 about 1 month ago, after breaker the inner axle on my stock 30. I have had a problem with ARB, but I think it had to do with a comprssor pressure switch that stuck in the open posistion and over pressurized the the locker. I am only running 33"s right now, so will have to see what happens when I switch to 36"s. Over all the axles and U-joints are way beefier, as well as being better Superior axles anyway. I wam probably going to truss the top of the axle before going with bigger meats.

super 30 vs. 30/30

i'm looking at the super 30 too, but was wondering about the tri-county 30/30 kit which appears to be the same kit except w/ moser axles instead of superior?

anyone?

Has anyone heard of the Super 30 being offered with something besides the ARB dif? I'm thinking about either a Detroit Trutrac limited slip or a Ox Locker.

Robert

yotaparts said:
i broke a dana 30 r&p, no ujoint break, open with 31's :yelclap:

I am going to say that it was caused by housing flex and was not in regular circumstances. Were you jumping it?

yotaparts said:
i broke a dana 30 r&p, no ujoint break, open with 31's :yelclap:

Got details of what you where doing when it broke? I would like to hear this.

AARON

I'm planning to truss mine and add Superior's heavier axles. The thing is that I'm only finding their super 30 kit offered with an ARB and I'd like to install either a Detriot TruTrac or an Ox Locker.

Robert

Goatman said:
...A super D30 would be with the 30 spline (1.31") Super 30 inner axles, and a Warn 5 on 5.5" hub kit which also comes with chromo 30 spline (1.31") stub axles...

The Warn 5 on 5.5" hub kit is the same price as the Warn 5 on 4.5" hub kit, but much stronger than the 4.5" hubs. This sounds appealing at first but wouldn't it be wise to go with the smaller (weaker) 5 on 4.5" hub kit so they will be the weak link?

Back