• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New problems

hitchhiker

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, new to me 2000 xj. I think it might be demonically possessed with the amount of issues I'm finding with it trying to return it to a solid daily driver condition. I have AC issues (hidden leak I can't find), stereo that loses power, turn signals that don't always blink and just stay on instead but those are cosmetic since I live in NC and we don't actually use turn signals. I think the eletrical issues might all be related to a poor stereo install job as it's an aftermarket head, I'll pull the dash off eventually but I want to get it driving well first.

I just replaced the front pads & rotors, the back drums, shoes, adjuster kits, springs and wheel cylinders as I was completely unable to lock up the wheels when I jammed on the brakes from 25 mph when I got it.

#1 I wanted to go out and test out my new brakes but when I took a tight turn I hear a slow clunking kind of noise from what I believe is the front left wheel area. Being that I listen to loud music often I could be entirely wrong about the location but with the windows down thats where it sounded like it came from. It makes absolutely no noise when going straight and makes about the same noise no matter which direction I turn.

#2 I went on a maybe 10-12 mile trip to the store and back and when I got home to check the clunk clunk noise I tried lifting the hood. The front latch was so hot I really didn't want to touch it directly. I ended up opening it but it was at the edge of heat tolerance. Once I had it open a wave of hot air came out. The air coming off of the main fan at 8 inches away is very hot, hot like dry your hands off hot. The temp guage said a little under 210 the entire trip and both fans were running. I can't imagine how the paint on the hood isn't going to have problems with the bay that hot.

Possibly related or not there is a lot of old oil everywhere under the hood. Most of it is on the side of the oil filter so I guess at one point someone didn't put it on tightly and it blew oil everywhere. I have to power wash that off still so I'll be able to see new leaks.

Any ideas or thoughts on either the clunking noise or the heat?

Check the front axle U joints.
If you have ABS you aren't supposed to be able to lock the brakes up.
The engine bay gets noticeably hotter if the electric fan is running. If the electric fan comes on a lot, try and figure out if it's low speed or high speed. Mostly low speed driving and stop and go, when the electric fan comes on, usually means a fan clutch is going.
Blinker module is solid state for the 2000 XJ isn't it? If it isn't solid state, it usually means there aren't enough bulbs functioning to make the blinker work or the blinker is the wrong size,
Oil on the filter side is often the filter adapter "O" rings, but a cleanup and closer look would likely be prudent. Be careful where you spray a high pressure cleaner.

Now that I've answered your questions to the best of my ability, you'll have to come over to the off topic forum and help us sort out if the Vietnam war was legitimate or not. :)

heat is honestly pretty normal for an XJ in NC in August. Lived there up until june. You cna try doing some cooling flush and such, but especially living in a city, NC is just hot in july and Aug. If the gauge says 210 then I would not worry about it too much.

Clunking is probably a ujoint. And being a 2000, does it have ABS? If so you should not be able to lock up the front brakes.

No ABS. I think I should be able to lock my brakes now after replaced them the fronts were dead and one of the back had a busted cylinder so that couldn't have helped.

Are the ujoints something I should be looking at replacing after 120k miles? I don't mind doing it but not sure how to test if they are good or bad.

Ok, I got the jeep up on stands again and took a look at what can move on the drivers front wheel. The u-joint is destroyed. One of the u-joint arms moves along with the wheel for about 1/4 inch before the rest of the u-joint and axle follows.

It's a 2000 4x4 without abs.

From looking at some past posts it looks like should be able to upgrade it to http://www.quadratec.com/products/52302_102.htm

Is this u-joint what I should use?

Is there anything else I should be looking at replacing when I'm in there?

Should I just do both sides? There was quite a bit of rust on the brakes when I replaced those since this jeep seems to have lived in the north east for the first 10 years.

i just put the better quality joints at advance auto on my 91, and its turning 33's. it can be a pain job to do, or really easy. My hardest part was getting the u joint to budge out of the yolk. Took an impact wrench a special tool from advance and some ingenuity.

Back