• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fix it, or donate it to charity?

4wheelnfun

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings & Hello, I'm new to NAXJA.

I am the proud new owner of a very tired '96 XJ Cherokee Sport.

I got the Jeep for Free from a close friend.
He gave it to me because he didn't want to invest any more money into the Jeep, but he had a lot of fond family memories associated with the XJ, and he wanted to keep it "in-the-family".

I need some serious wisdom and council from the NAXJA community.

Before I invest a lot of money and time. I am looking for expert advice, so I can figure out if the vehicle is worth fixing up, or should I just donate it to charity and invest my hard earned money on something else, like food and gas...

Just for background on me, I am an experienced mechanic by hobby and a Mechanical Engineer by profession... so fixing the XJ by myself is not and issue of skill or tools.

Now to the XJ:

Problems:
I have a fix-it budget of only $500.
The XJ has 226,345 miles (with a lot of city driving)
The exhaust manifold is very cracked
Front brakes are gone - needs calipers, rotors, pads, fluid flush
Engine sounds like a diesel when it is cold and makes some bottom end noise when hot (have not checked the flex plate yet)
There is very significant floor pan rust and major perforation from the fire wall to the rear bumper (Fred Flintstone style).
There is rust perforation on the roof in several places
Shocks should be replaced, but it drives OK.
Needs fuel filter, air filter, and all fluids to be replaced.
A/C is shot (not an issue for me...will be a winter car)
Could use tie rod ends, but still handles OK
Could use an O2 sensor

Good news:

Vehicle was regularly maintained by dealer (my friend knows nothing about cars).
Passed NY State inspection 4 months ago
Command Trac works well
New water pump and hoses and coolant
New plugs, wires, cap, rotor
Transmission shifts nice and firm
Engine starts easily, runs smoothly for an engine with 226K miles
Oil pressure when hot is 42 psi while driving and 22 while idling (assuming the gauge is accurate).
Previous owner says the engine does not burn or use oil
Exhaust system is "relatively" new
Drives down the road confidently
Accelerates very nicely
Tires are OK
Power windows and power door locks work
Everything on dashboard works
Heat works
Wheel bearings are OK
Exterior paint is OK
Does not drip or leak anything significant

OK, So what do you think?

Fix it or Junk it?

The thing that really bugs me is the RUST.
I've seen the threads where people replaced the entire floor pan.
I don't have the money to invest in an extensive fix like that.
If I decide to proceed with the rust fix-up, I'll be using the "convert rust, caulk, sheet metal patch, screw, and paint" method to cover the holes in the floor.

Thanks ahead of time for your help!

PS. I always wanted to own a Jeep, but could never afford one.

This XJ will be a winter commuter car.

Off Topic...

and damn, whats the point of a vehicle inspection if something like that will pass. Don't try to get it inspected in PA, ever, they would just laugh at you and chase you back across the border.

Anyway...

The diesel sound is probably from the cracked manifold - what about the cat-converter? I'd fix it if I were you. Patch up the rust holes, there are quite a few threads on here about doing that - not just replacing the entire tub - but patch jobs.

make sure you use some good rust-proof paint :)

I think it depends on what you're willing to put up with in shabbiness.

Your 96 sounds about like my 95, which I still use as a local tool and junk hauler. The rocker panels disappeared years ago, the roof leaks so badly I had to take the headliner out, and even with gobs of silo sealer on the holes it still soaks the seats when it rains. The steering is a little loose, the manifold leaks, etc. etc. but it runs strong, and I don't think it will ever actually wear out.

As long as you're realistic about what you're looking at, you should do all right. It's a beater, but it could go for a long time that way without a lot of problems.

I wouldn't worry too much about engine sounds if the oil pressure is holding up (42/22 is fine). A new engine is not worth bothering with for that body, but between piston slap and other noises, an XJ engine can sound a good bit worse than it is. Manifold is your call. If it doesn't bother you, I'd let it go.

If the rust is something you can tolerate, I'd just go with it. You can patch the floor with sheet metal and self-tapping screws, and seal it with roofing tar, but if the state inspectors don't mind and you don't either, you don't even have to do that unless you're having problems with the wet carpets. The roof rust is a nasty one, hard to fix without exceeding the value of the car. You can try fiberglass, but don't be surprised if it always leaks somewhere. Along with the visible rust, there's usually rust under the windshield sealer bead, and it may leak there too.

Brakes are a nuisance, but not such a big expense. These XJ's have front caliper pistons made of some kind of phenolic stuff, and they seem to last pretty much forever, so you might not actually need new calipers. Rotors are cheap. Don't forget to look at all the brake lines carefully. Also, if you are in the habit of actually using the handbrake, check the anchor points for the front of the cable sheaths, where they attach to the floor under the rear seat. They tend to crack and flex. You can drill through them and reinforce them with little plates and washers.

I think you could put it in good reliable shape for small money, and drive it for a long time. Figure in your initial repair budget as its cost, and you have a 500 dollar car. If you can keep it going for a few hundred bucks a year in parts, you're way ahead of the game. You'll never get a car that cheap that doesn't need that much or more in repairs to get it safe or reliable. Forget the manifold and the rust and the shocks - even if you can just keep it going until the tires wear out, you can't lose.

Thanks for the good and wise advice.

I was so excited about getting the Jeep, because from the outside it looked so nice.

But after putting about 10 hours of work just inspecting and exploring the problems, I feel a bit discouraged.

Now that I see the reality of the beast, my expectations have been significantly lowered.

I love the way it drives and feels on non-paved surfaces.

As with most people I am very busy at work and home.
The Jeep is my 5th vehicle, and I figure I will perform minimal repairs and just drive it and enjoy it while it lasts.

Again, thanks for the encouragement.

Hell since you got it for free if you don't want it I'm sure there's a number of us on here that would be glad to take it off your hands even in the condition it is now.

If I choose to not fix the XJ, I will give the title back to my friend who gave the Jeep to me, so he can donate it and get the tax write off. (it would be bad form to give away a gift from a friend..at least a friend I want to keep)

Right now I'm thinking I will keep it and work on it as a project.

I love wrenching on cars and this XJ will be a challenge.

I built-up a turbocharged Miata as my fun summer daily driver.
I has a weight (lbs) to HP ratio of less than 10, so it entertaining.

I like the idea of having the XJ as a beater that I don't have to worry about where, and when I park it.

Winter in Up-State NY can be brutal, so my plan is to take the Miata off the road in the Fall and put the plates on the XJ.

4Wheelnfun...

Back