• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade Dana 44 diff guard

_MURDERED OUT_

NAXJA Forum User
So yay todays little project!! Until it started raining outside i was working on this diff guard for my front end. Its cheap, and its made by me. Thats about the high points of interest....

rockring1.jpg

Its 1/4" for the diff ring, and 5/8" solid rod for the guard pieces that i obviously have more to complete.

any chance of adding some more bars, or some metal in between what you already have. looks good, but unless your going over flat rocks I would expect some beatings making it to your stock one.

I was thinkin of adding 2 more bars on the sides of the vertical one. But i dont do any rocks, just woods/trails and stuff around here so the only reason i made this was just to help protect from brush, stumps, and what not... I think this will work fine for me.

na, i think i may add 2 more bars on either side of the vertical one. And to add to the bling factor i semi smoothed everything up with a flap disc on my grinder and am goin to paint it with a few coats of clear. HA

You could buy a good diff cover for what youve got into that(and what youre going to get out of it)!A good cover will strengthen the housing while protecting the diff!

Last edited:
so far ive got a little over $20 in this, last time i checked a dana 44 full built 3/8" cover was around $100....

Why are you comparing a plated diff cover to what you are making?

Diff protection that is comparable to what you are making are found for about $60 depending on brand and place purchased.I would much rather have a plated cover then something like that.

_MURDERED OUT_ said:
so far ive got a little over $20 in this, last time i checked a dana 44 full built 3/8" cover was around $100....
The ring costs more than that alone!

2nd that, I want to know where you got the diff ring as well. I have some similar plans of my own.

My philosiphy is if I make it and then I am more proud of it. Sometimes making your own crap isn't about saving money. That is if you know how, have the patience to do it right, know the limits of your fab skills and don't skimp.

Ruffstuff Specialties and Bluetorchfab have the rings and DIY kits.

Back