• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing the diff gear lube ?'s

suprz

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, i'm a new member and i have just purchased my 2nd jeep cherokee, it's a 1996 cherokee "country" edition 4.0L HO i was wondering if i can use mobil one synthetic gear oil in the front and rear diffs. i used mobil one 10/30 in the engine of my old 1986 cherokee and it used to come out just as slippery as it was when it went in. so i would like to use mobil one again in this one, in engine and the diffs, even the transfer case. any suggestions or experiences would help, thanks:wave1:

its a gear weight so i think its like 90w-70. but i dont have the book with me.

what do you guys link of just putting the lucas oil in it. it says on the bottle that you can just put that in.

suprz said:
excuse my ignorance but what weight and do i need any additives for the diff lube? :dunno:
80w-90 or 85w-140,use the heavier if you tow or for just extra protection.A limited-slip requires a limited slip additive to be added to the gear lube.
Wayne

90xj06 said:
its a gear weight so i think its like 90w-70. but i dont have the book with me.

what do you guys link of just putting the lucas oil in it. it says on the bottle that you can just put that in.
I use lucas in mine. I don't know if it helps any, but it doesn't hurt. JIM.

I used Mobil-1 75w90 in my 93's D30 and Chrysler 8.25 (non-LSD)...and will be doing the same on my 99. According to the Mobil-1 bottle no additive is needed for LSD.

BTW - The 93 FSM called for 75w90 in both (75w140 in the rear if towing).

how do i know if the cjerokee has a LSD? I believe it is a 8.25 in the rearend. (the bottom of the diff is cut flat) i dont know if they had that in 1996 "country" editions. and i will be towing a small trailer and boat with this vehicle. ( i will be adding an aftermarket tranny cooler inline with the stock one)

suprz said:
how do i know if the cjerokee has a LSD? I believe it is a 8.25 in the rearend. (the bottom of the diff is cut flat) i dont know if they had that in 1996 "country" editions. and i will be towing a small trailer and boat with this vehicle. ( i will be adding an aftermarket tranny cooler inline with the stock one)
Jack the rear end up so both wheels are off the ground, and spin one tire. If the other tire spins in the same direction, you have a limited-slip. If it spins in the other direction, you've got an open differential.

Easier way to tell is the LSD equipped jeeps have a sticker on the inside of the glove box. Interestingly enough my tires spun quite freely when only one was off the ground.

goodburbon said:
Easier way to tell is the LSD equipped jeeps have a sticker on the inside of the glove box. Interestingly enough my tires spun quite freely when only one was off the ground.

An LSD only limits the slip. It won't keep a free wheel from spinning.

My '95 FSM lists 80w90 for lighter duty.

90xj06 said:
do this jeeps have some kind of posi or lock up? i did a burn out on my lawn and both wheels left equal length skid marks.

Interesting... which had the most damage? Your tires or your lawn? I'm sure your tranny, transfer case, u-joints, diffs all enjoyed that as much as your lawn did.

Burn outs eh? Do a neutral drop did you? How many RPM's did you hit before you slammed it??

:roflmao:

well, i just looked in the glove box and no sticker there, i checked the drivers side door jamb and nothing there that would indicate a lsd either:gonnablow

I used Mobile One 75W90 in my 98' ZJ with a dana 35 limited slip and it made a clunking noise when the tranny would want to shift to the next gear and I got off the throttle, like a wind up and clunk. I think this was due to not putting in a additive which I didn't think I needed to do.

I'm very happy with Red Line fully synthetic 75W90 lube with a little Lucas additive added to it.

Back