• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wow. Epic carnage. Control arm question

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I brought new meaning to the term "pretzeled control arms" about 2 hours ago. I destroyed my passenger side upper, and ripped my adjustable lower in half. I also busted the crap out of my front U-joint, but that's irrelevant. Basically, what's a good set of uppers to buy? I may need lowers too, I haven't looked at the lower yet so please include both.

The problem is that's money I don't have, I'm 16 and to get money for good LA's will take me a few months, and I definitely can't be without my car for a few months. Classic 16 year old talk I know, but it's true.

Frank Z said:
Upgrade to long arms, don't waste your energy and money on more short arms.

Gee Frank, that's kinda expensive advice for someone replacing some stock uppers!

A set of short arms for a moderate lift, is more cost effective than a long arm kit.
If you want to correct geometry on the cheap, you can install a set of CA lowering brackets.

You can get a set of Rusty's arms for a low buck, though you may want to spend a few more dollars and get something with "jonny joints" at one end to take the stress of the CA brackets.

I'm not entirely sure how I managed to do it myself... I was in a mudhole, I wasn't hardcore rockcrawling or anything. I think when i winched myself out after I lost my front DS the wheels hit a steep wall of mud, and damage ensued. Since the last time I posted I've been doing what I can until daylight, and while the driver's side UCA isn't as pretzeled as I thought, the passenger side UCA axle mount is folded inward.

What I'm probably going to end up doing is getting some JY arms and bending the bracket back into some sort of shape (Not sure about that though, I'll have to play with it in the morning.) until I can get some real arms, and just hold off on the fourwheeling until then. I may be able to get some ZJ UCAs for free, what's the word on that? Yes? No?

I would either use some stock replacements or save for some clayton or JKS arms. The cheap fixed poly ended aftermarket arms cause more issues then they are worth IMO.

the ZJ control arms should work for you. They better, I'm installing the stock arms from my XJ on my buddys ZJ tomorrow. And yes, save your $$ for some JKS arms or something comparable. I have fixed Ranchos & they are noisey & don't flex at all. After a locker for my 44 I'm upgrading to the JKS arms with rubber bushings.

YJ,s are leaf sprung= NO control arms, TJ are coil sprung=control arms:eeks1:

Wayne

you could box some stckers to gain some strength, or you could run ZJ arms which are a good jy upgrade

Zuki-Ron said:
A set of short arms for a moderate lift, is more cost effective than a long arm kit.
If you want to correct geometry on the cheap, you can install a set of CA lowering brackets.

at that point you are about halfway or more to a decent set of long arms.

Well, i picked some stockers up at the JunkYard today for like $20 each, and in the process of putting them on I managed to strip one of the nuts into a damn near perfect circle with an 18" breaker bar :doh:

I'm currently dropping my axle because of the bent axle mount but does anyone have any suggestions for that stripped nut?

XJ98Jeep said:
Well, i picked some stockers up at the JunkYard today for like $20 each, and in the process of putting them on I managed to strip one of the nuts into a damn near perfect circle with an 18" breaker bar :doh:

I'm currently dropping my axle because of the bent axle mount but does anyone have any suggestions for that stripped nut?

what nut did you strip?

Back