• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'88 Comanche 2.5L won't run after 91+ upgrade

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
Here's what I have:
'88 Comanche 2.5L with:
'93 harmonic balancer, A/C Compressor, Power Steering Pump, Alternator, Distributor & sensor, engine wiring harness & computer, chassis harness, fuel pump & sending unit, intake manifold, fuel rail, injectors, etc. etc.
'93 4.0 throttle body
91+ 4.0 62mm tb spacer (I know people say it is faster with a smaller bore, I plan on playing with this once it is running by testing it with and without the spacer).

When I try to start it, it just won't run. If I hold the throttle wide open, it might stay running for a few seconds, but still doesn't sound right and will die immediately after letting off the throttle. It won't even do that all the time with wide open throttle, sometimes it won't catch at all. I think I read somewhere that if the sensor at the back of the engine/front of the transmission bellhousing is bad it wouldn't run. Any other ideas? I pulled the boot off each spark plug and checked to make sure they were sparking, which they are. The plugs are new, but are the ones spec'd for the '88 engine if that makes a difference. The cap & rotor are new, and spec'd for the '93 distributor I put on it. It has fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Even if an injector was clogged, I think it would take at least 2 clogged injectors to make it not run, not sure. All the stuff I've thrown on is from the junkyard, so it is all suspect.

Back