• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drum brakes leaking...

JeepinCoastie

NAXJA Forum User
well My drivers side rear drum is leaking fluid somewhere internally ....

i had the the tire and drum off and its coming from the top somewhere ...

what could it be is it easily replaceable

ok how the F i chage that i have never messed with rear drum brakes

It's not that hard and you can use the other side as a reference to get it back together. You will need to bleed the brakes when you are done. If you don't have another vehicle and this is your only mode of transport, you might want to consider taking it to a shop to get done. Otherwise, a few trips to the autoparts store might be needed as you run into other issues.

yeah, you could probably get it done in an afternoon. grab a repair manual if you don't already have one and read up to see if your up to it. I would suggest checking your shoes and drums while your at it to. I typically like to practice preventative maintenance, so when I noticed my shoes wearing out, I did a complete brake job so I wouldn't have to tear everything apart in the rear later on down the road. You don't have to do all of that, but your going to have to take your drum off and a little bit of the upper brake hardware in order to free up the wheel cylinder.

It's only two bolts and a brake line fitting to free the WC up though. It's best if you can have a buddy help you bleed the brakes, but they do make one man bleeder kits that work too.

no no, change everything, chances are if you are leaking enough fluid to see it you have already corrupted the shoes. I would get a new set of shoes, 2 wheel cylinders and a new set of springs. Also get 4 or 5 cans of brake cleaner. Once you get fluid on the shoes it starts to break down the pad surface, it also mixes with the dust and paint on the shoes and inside the drums and turns into a black pudding looking gunk. Save yourself the trouble and either have it all done or do it all yourself.

Back