• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp sending Q

goldhammer

NAXJA Forum User
Just a quick question on the sender that is on the top of the head by the left rear corner of the valve cover. On an 88 does that tie into the computer or just feed the idiot light in the cluster? Going to A/M guage and don't want to "T" it if I don't have to. Thanks.

On your 88, you have three temperature sensors...

1) Rear of cylinder head, driver's side - this one drives the gage/lamp in the IP.
2) Radiator tank, driver's side - this is the thermal switch for the electric fan
3) Engine Block, driver's side - for the ECU.

1991-1995 cut it down to two sensors (retaining #1, and #2 and #3 were combined into a single sensor in the thermostat housing) and 1996-up cut it down to one (combining all three into a single sensor in the thermostat housing.)

5-90 said:
On your 88, you have three temperature sensors...

1) Rear of cylinder head, driver's side - this one drives the gage/lamp in the IP.
2) Radiator tank, driver's side - this is the thermal switch for the electric fan
3) Engine Block, driver's side - for the ECU.

1991-1995 cut it down to two sensors (retaining #1, and #2 and #3 were combined into a single sensor in the thermostat housing) and 1996-up cut it down to one (combining all three into a single sensor in the thermostat housing.)

96 still has two sensors,head-for gauge. T-stat housing for ECU which controls aux fan also.
I know 98 only uses the T-stat sensor for everything.97- not sure what it has(don,t own that year)

Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
96 still has two sensors,head-for gauge. T-stat housing for ECU which controls aux fan also.
I know 98 only uses the T-stat sensor for everything.97- not sure what it has(don,t own that year)

Wayne

Hm. Thanks - I'd thought it was a change with the rollout of OBD-II for 1996. Probably a mid-1997 change, then (knowing our luck...)

Back