• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Cherokee Fuel injectors

chelms27

NAXJA Forum User
What injectors should I use? I have searched and came up with nothing worth while. Can anyonw give me some advice? Thanks. Also does anyone know how to tell if my injectors are bad? I replaced my fuel pump and I still have long starting issues that I am about tired of.

:us:

cold or hot it doesnt matter. If you turn it off and then on right away...within 30 seconds it will fire right up. If not then it will take 10-15 seconds of cranking. I am just looking for injectors to fit with the proper psi and lbs besides the stock jeep injectors for a stock engine. How can you tell if injectors are leaking?

Last edited:
chelms27 said:
How can you tell if injectors are leaking?

You will need to connect a fuel pressure guage with an inline tee just before the fuel rail. Pressurize the fuel rail with a start and short run of the motor. Then clamp the fuel line off on the fuel supply side of the pressure guage. If the pressure reading doesn't hold steady, an injector must be leaking.

you can spot a leaky injector indirectly by looking at the spark plugs. They should all be light tan.

a leaky injector wouldnt cause hard starting, so much as reallly rough operation.

it might be the fuel pump relay is sticking..would explain why cycling the ignition rapidly seems to get it started. Relays are cheap, might be worth a try.

I will check the plugs and the relay. Thanks for the advice...When I got the jeep I changed the plugs and if I remember right one was dirtier/blacker than the others???

Hey Chris! Glad to see that you are still around. Say hi to Julie.

Oh sorry, I have no answer to your problem. :)

Thanks johnny, I am around I just have no one to wheel with in good old NE. So I am into racing dirt bikes now and just drive the Jeeps on the street. Take care say hi to Robert and Kyung.

I checked the plugs and they look the same and all lean. The relay didnt do the trick. I want to try new injectors could someone please tell me which ford injectors work well on a cherokee? I have searched but no injector matches exactly so which ones? Thanks

92DripCherokee said:
you can spot a leaky injector indirectly by looking at the spark plugs. They should all be light tan.

a leaky injector wouldnt cause hard starting, so much as reallly rough operation.

it might be the fuel pump relay is sticking..would explain why cycling the ignition rapidly seems to get it started. Relays are cheap, might be worth a try.

Wrong, a leaky injector will cause "hard" starting in that you have to wait for the fuel pump to pump fuel all the way back up to the injectors, essentially just making for "long starts."

Cycling the ignition keeps the fuel pump pressurizing during its initial prime - meaning it pumps fuel back up to the rail so when you do start it the fuel is there and ready to go.

the residual fuel pressure in the rail normally leaks down over hours to days, but all the fuel is not going to drain away through one poorly closing injector. If that was actually happening, the oil would be diluted with fuel, would it not?

Ive pulled my fuel line and had it disconnected for HOURS. The fuel will not just leak away from an opening like that, the tank is lower and if the check valve in regulator is working the lines stay full.
Nor is the fuel pump going to completely lose prime from one dripping injector. It will only lose pressure, not its prime. Might get a little air bubble, thats about it.

a dripping injector that leaked so much fuel as to drain the lines, would have washed that cylinder and cracked the piston, and ran like a dog beforehand.

Last edited:
If the fuel pump check valve is leaking, this can cause your fuel rail to empty, then when you go and crank it, not only does it need to fill the rail, it is trying to do it with the starter hogging a lot of the battery Amp/Volt. Try cycling you key 6-7 times, then start it and see if it fires right up.

I have experience with 2 '99's that have the same problem. If they sit for more than a few minutes you have to crank for a while to get them to start. If you cycle the key several times (to run the fuel pump) they will start easily. Both have had the fuel pump relay replaced. Anybody have a fix? I'm not convinced it's injector issues causing the loss of "prime" in the fuel system, but I don't know what it is.

92DripCherokee said:
the residual fuel pressure in the rail normally leaks down over hours to days, but all the fuel is not going to drain away through one poorly closing injector. If that was actually happening, the oil would be diluted with fuel, would it not?

Ive pulled my fuel line and had it disconnected for HOURS. The fuel will not just leak away from an opening like that, the tank is lower and if the check valve in regulator is working the lines stay full.
Nor is the fuel pump going to completely lose prime from one dripping injector. It will only lose pressure, not its prime. Might get a little air bubble, thats about it.

a dripping injector that leaked so much fuel as to drain the lines, would have washed that cylinder and cracked the piston, and ran like a dog beforehand.

If the fuel drained into the engine - yes, the oil would be diluted or even possibly a "hydro-locked" engine from gas(I've had that happen on other vehicles).

Twice now I have had leaky injectors that caused the long starts, both times I replaced it with a BRAND new fuel pump, only to not have it fix the problem. Yet sure enough replacing injector #3 did the trick.

And even after replacing the fuel pump, then letting it prime itself and going up to press the pressure relief valve on the fuel rail I was able to get air out.

I think that enough air is able to slowly leak back down the lines(yes that means fuel past the check valve in the pump - even on a brand new pump) that the pump has a hard time re-priming against all that air - after all, compressing air is different than fuel.

FordGuy said:
It's the fuel pump! The internal check valve is bad. Replace the fuel pump!

Yup, most likely its the fuel pump check valve, failing that, go through each injector one by one with a single replacement and see which one it is.

Thanks for the advise guys...I changed the fuel pump and no nothing was affected. So I think I am going to get the injectors. Any other injectors recommended? zluster which injectors did you go with? Thanks

Back