• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing AC Compressor???

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
I'm removing the old, and installing a new AC Compressor in my 2001 4.0.
Ideally I'd like to complete the install, then fill it up myself with the AutoZone R134 tanks. Is this a bad idea?

I know the R134a is a toxic gas, and I'm not a AC repair person.
Can I remove the old compressor in my garage without the old refridgerant spraying everywhere and getting on my skin? Is there anyway to do this at home to make it easier and safer?

Any tips or suggestions?
Help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

The old refrigerant should be recovered (sucked out and put in a tank). The drier should be changed during the compressor change out. Afterwards the system needs to be evacuated before the refrigerant is put in.

I did it a few months ago, the AZ people told me to vent to atmosphere. R-134 is the "non toxic" replacement for r-12. I rented the vac-pump from AZ and the gauge set too. Didn't bother with the drier, why would I? I unbolted my old compressor, pushed it to the side and bolted the new one in. I then bled the system down and unbolted the manifold and swapped it to the new compressor. The system was open for less than 30 seconds and the whole time I could see/hear the 134 evaporating from the lines. The only contaminated air that could get into the system was in the new compressor. I then pulled a vac on it for several hours, recharged with AZ freon and it works like a charm.

I WILL however change the drier if the system will be opened to atmosphere for very long, or I am changing a condenser/evap, because of the volume of air/moisture introduced into the system.

Federal law dictates that a fine of up to $25,000 may be levied on people convicted of venting refrigerant into the atmosphere. Additionally, the EPA may pay up to $10,000 for information or services leading to a criminal conviction of the violation of these laws. (This is any refrigerant)

Are those GPS coordinates correct? J/K!! :)

http://www.procarcare.com/icarumba/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/icar_resourcecenter_encyclopedia_ac3.asp

As for replacing the drier, like everything else, there is a right way to do a job and a wrong way. ANY time a refrigeration system is opened, the drier is supposed to be changed. Chances are there would not be a problem but why take the chance?

azdesertrhino said:
Federal law dictates that a fine of up to $25,000 may be levied on people convicted of venting refrigerant into the atmosphere. Additionally, the EPA may pay up to $10,000 for information or services leading to a criminal conviction of the violation of these laws. (This is any refrigerant)

Are those GPS coordinates correct? J/K!! :)

http://www.procarcare.com/icarumba/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/icar_resourcecenter_encyclopedia_ac3.asp

As for replacing the drier, like everything else, there is a right way to do a job and a wrong way. ANY time a refrigeration system is opened, the drier is supposed to be changed. Chances are there would not be a problem but why take the chance?

The AZ guys told me to vent to atmosphere when I asked because I didn't feel comfortable venting to atmosphere. You can rent all of the equipment from AZ except a reservoir for captured ref. I think that's beyond silly, and it was even sillier that the AZ guys looked at me like I was stupid when I asked. I knew I was gonna get flamed for it by someone. Oh and if it were illegal to vent 134 to atmosphere, how is it legal to sell "freeze-it" its just spray canned 134 that we use to freeze electronic components for diagnostic purposes?

Oh and on the drier, yes it is the "correct" way to do it, and if I ever have to open the system for very long, or if I have a leak that leaves the system open I will definately change the drier. I just didn't feel it was warranted on a system that was still boiling off the coolant as I put it back together.

Good luck with the prosecution, gonna be hard for the EPA to get me at these coordinates, and yeah they're accurate.:shhh:

If the system is going to be open for any time more than a quick unbolt and rebolt new part I would suggest you plug the holes with a non porus plastic or thick tape. You just want to keep moisture to a minimum getting into the drying tower. If you can find a bunch of the plugs that the new parts are shipped with so much the better.

I don't think even R12 is toxic. "Back in the day" we used to just vent it in the garage and pump it back up when finised. Of course I havn't done that since learning about the environmental effects.

By the way: is there a serpentine belt for the 4L if one was to completely remove the compressor?

r-12 contains cfc r-134a does not so it would be safer than r-12 to vent into the atmosphere. there is this r-12 & r-134a substitute that is environmentally friendly. that you can vent into the atmosphere. and when it leaks it smells like pine trees.

Back