• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ball joint press

Rockhound

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i'm going to do the ball joints on my 91 and got to looking at borrowing a press from autozone.........yah for $100. i know i get it back but i have a habit of borrowing and deciding to add to my collection. anyway to do this with a big c-clamp?? never used one ( a press ) before, but it would appear as though a 6 inch c-clamp could easily do the job as well. TIA
Rockhound

The c-clamp won't be rigid enough and neither will the cheap off shore ball joint tools. It has to be a good one like OTC or equivalent to work. They usually go for $80 on ebay or you can get one that won't work for $30 from Harbor Freight.

The Harbor Freight one works just fine. We used one to change all four ball joints on CHW's XJ a few motnths back.

glad to know, been tracking one of each on ebay for the past 2 days. thanks guys.
Rockhound

yup...bent a c-clamp when i tried doing it that way.

surrendered and went to AZ to borrow it.

Back