• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering column replacement...

89cherokeexj

NAXJA Forum User
how long does it take?? What is the level of difficulty?? Going to be doing it real soon, just want to know what I am getting myself into..

ive never replaced one, but i have taken apart and put back together 2 GM steering columns(same as cherokee up to 94-95). the first time it took me about 3 hours, but i was taking my time to do it right. the second took me under an hour. its not too complicated, not as tricky as i thought it would be......just take your time and keep all the parts and bolts organized.

oh yeah, i did one tilt and one non-tilt. people say the tilt is a lot harder, i found it to be only marginally more difficult than non-tilt.

Did a couple of truck colums in my chevy 3/4 tons, and its pretty straight forward. Should be roughly the same colum in your jeep if its in fact an 89. Just 2 big bolts under the dash, probably 5 or 6 little ones through the firewall, and then you can disconnect it down at the steering box if memory serves me correct. Of course this again was on a chevy pickup... Dont forget to unhook the NSS and iginition wiring from the colum before you drop it from the dash. Have fun with it, its fairly straight forward, id estimate a couple hours out and in if your sober and have some sort of wrench turning knowledge :)

OHH yes, and before I forget, If its anything like the colums Ive done, there is a special bolt holding the colum to the steering box... I have a feeling its a Torx head bolt, so make sure you have a socket for that one too or your gonna be walkin to the hardware store in the middle of your dissasemble :)

I dont know for sure, but im sure someone on here can verify that for ya!

Back