• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radio problems

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
My radio seems like it only works when it wants to. It will work one minute and the display is black thenext minute. I have checked the fuses as well as theconnections to the radio. All look fine. Is there something missed, or should i just use it as an excuse for a cd player?

sounds like a good reason to buy a cd player and if that don't fix it then pm me back im kinda stumped on that but a fuse wouldnt make it do that it kinda sounds like a overheating problem good luck

Yeah Check your ground wire and your fuse to make sure that it doesn't have corroded contacts.

I dot really have the moey right ow for a new one. Its weird. It works on the eay to work, then after 8 hours, doesnt work anymore. But when i go to work, more than 12 hours later its fine. Maybe a memory problem or power supply inside the radio?

Here's a silly question - you say the display goes blank intermittently. Is the radio still responsive to pressing its buttons?

If it's still responsive, you've got a fault inside the radio itself, and replacement is the best bet.

If it's not responsive (i.e. the radio is off), check the switched power wire coming into it. I'm sure someone here can tell you what color wire that is. Check the ground, and also check the fuse. Go ahead and replace the fuse if you have any doubt at all - fuses can look okay and still be bad.

It is completely dead. When it starts coming back to life, the closk will show, then as soon as you turn the knob to on it shuts off. I noticed it the other day i got in and the clock had reset. Worked fine on the way to work, then after work it didnt work. On the way home it started working again just happened to be after 12 hours. The other day i turned it on after it was sitting for 12 hrs and it was fine. I guess i should work more! Anybody have the fuse box layout?

On the older jeeps the radio and WS Wipers are on the same fuse and wire through the ignition switch as the AC blower. When ever I have radio problems it was early warning of a loose smoking hot wire, connection, fuse or ignition switch contact going bad.

Well i replaced the fuse and t seems to be wokring fine. I think the old fuse would just not wokr when i got hot. Maybe it was just old.

Back