• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Right front axel leak

stu mcgimly

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled my passanger side front axel out of my 89 xj Dana 30 to change the ujoint out and now it leaks at the knuckle. I think I must have push the oil seal out or something when I put the axel back, I kind of had to weasle it in to pick up the spined sleave of the axel vacuum disconnect.

Does anyone know how to get at that seal? I'm getting ready to pull the vacuum motor housing out to take a look, I'm hoping it is as easy as pry out an tap in but I am worried there is a bearing in the way.

That seal is in the center of the axle, next to the diff. Requires removal of the carrier for replacement.

Are you sure the seal is leaking and it's not just oil from the shaft left in the tube?

Re: what

redxj9123 said:
why would you take the axle apart to change a simple ass u joint
I think you're on the wrong PLANET!

Re: what

redxj9123 said:
why would you take the axle apart to change a simple ass u joint
cuz u cant change the axle ujoint when its in the tubes! it needs to be out of the housing....

It is not just oil in the tube, it leaves CD sized oil puddles wherever I park it for over a week and a half, I was hoping thou.

The axel just slips out once you take the wheel bearing off, I did the drivers side like that no prob.

The passengers side axel is only ~16" long before it slips into the splined sleeve at the axel disconnect which is bathed in oil, the seal I am talking about is the one in the axel tube outboard of the diff. Anyone ever changed that one?

For the vacuum disconnect axles the passenger side seal is not in the dif but in the exterior side of the vacuum housing. Doesn't require removal of the carrier to change this seal.

Back