• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATTN: Nut & Bolt Gurus.....Anti-theft

Deadman 94 xj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to mount my winch and was wondering if any of you knew of a type of nut/bolt that a thief might avoid. I know it's a little far fetched but anything will help.
Maybe something foreign?

I've seen the key/lock from Tuffy but at $30 I'd like to find something cheaper. I would also like to avoid welding the nuts.

Thanks for any help.

inverted torx heads would be my best guess. anything that looks funny, people won't think of touching.

I would also like to avoid welding the nuts.

u sure? just one little bead where the nut meats the bumper will do it. and if you want to take it off just one sec with a grinder...

spcustoms said:
u sure? just one little bead where the nut meats the bumper will do it. and if you want to take it off just one sec with a grinder...

Yeah I know. I'm no welder and I would have to take it in to have it done. I know it wouldn't cost much but I guess I just want to explore other options. I still may end up doing it. We'll see.

Deadman 94 xj said:
Yeah I know. I'm no welder and I would have to take it in to have it done. I know it wouldn't cost much but I guess I just want to explore other options. I still may end up doing it. We'll see.

No respectable welder is going to charge you to put one tack down. It will literally take 6 seconds. Pull up, "hey, can you tap this with your welder", *BZZZZ* .. done.

Ok, I painted the bumper inside and out. Will I have to grind away the paint for the tack to go down? Or is it not that important?
Thanks.

Nevermind lol.

Last edited:
Deadman 94 xj said:
Ok, I painted the bumper inside and out. Will I have to grind away the paint for the tack to go down? Or is it not that important?
Thanks.

Nevermind lol.

An area of about 1/2". Just enough for the tack. Just use your pocket knife and scratch it away. :)

IMO the more theft proofing you do the more damage your rig will sustain in the theft attempt. A determined thief gets what he is after. I suggest just bolting it up, and don't leave your rig anywhere shady.

razdrvr said:
IMO the more theft proofing you do the more damage your rig will sustain in the theft attempt. A determined thief gets what he is after. I suggest just bolting it up, and don't leave your rig anywhere shady.

Are you going to suggest not locking your doors either? I mean, a theif will just break out the window.

Welding 1 bolt will stop the quick immature kids who steal winches at night and sell them on craigslist. Someone who's going to take the whole bumper or grind a tack weld off is a whole different monster, yes.

razdrvr said:

Good point but I've read too many threads where winches disappear while the owner is grociery shopping. The longer it may take said theif the better chance of him getting caught.

I was going to use the bolt method but I guess a tack weld will help me sleep a little better.

and if your worried about your fogs, I think a saw a kit on quadratec that replaces the nuts with special ones and comes with a key tool

I guess I've got a different outlook since mine don't go anywhere. Just sits in the garage till it gets awakened from it's slumber.

Back