• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 = 181FBI or 186FBI or both?

tommyr

NAXJA Forum User
OK.... Whats the difference between the 181 and 186 FBI axles. I'm reading my FSM and the words and pictures seem to be exactly the same. Or am I missing the important part??

what year is your xj?

some late '95 and definately 96+ came with 297x ujoints, before then they came with smaller ones

Suppose I should have put that in there..Sorry... Its an '01

The lube & maint. section of the book also shows different fluid capicities.
3.13pints for the 181, 2.25 for the 186

I just normally put in enough for it to come out of the fill hole

is it hp30 or lp30, I thought I remember jeep putting some the tj d30 in xj, but I could be wrong

Last edited:
well, i dunno if yours has a hp or not, but my 98 cherokee has a hp30, just look to see if the centerline of the yoke/pinion is above the centerline of the axle shafts...

that may be the reason for the difference in fluid needed.

2000 and 2001 have a low pinion D30. All other years have a high pinion D30. I just fill it until it won't hold anymore.

DJKS Dana 30 ( 181MM ) Front Axle = low pinion

DRMP Dana 35C ( 194MM ) Rear Axle

The 181 Front Beam-design Iron (FBI) axle consists
of a cast iron differential housing with axle
shaft tubes extending from either side. The tubes are
pressed into the differential housing and welded.
The integral type housing, hypoid gear design has
the centerline of the pinion set above the centerline
of the ring gear.

Word 'above' should be 'BELOW' (P3-16 in the FSM)
Ditto for the 186 ....(P. 3-48)
Sounds like both are the Low Pinion type.

Still wondering what the difference is...:roll:

From page 53 of the FSM

186 FBI AXLE
DESCRIPTION
The 186 Front Beam-design Iron (FBI) axle con-sists
of a cast iron differential housing with axle
shaft tubes extending from either side. The tubes are
pressed into the differential housing and welded.
The integral type housing, hypoid gear design has
the centerline of the pinion set below the centerline
of the ring gear through the front propeller shaft.

The D30 is both the 181FBI and the 186FBI. However, the 181 is a high pinion, reverse rotation where the 186 is low pinion, standard rotation. I believe the 181 was used on XJ's until the 2000 model year and is more desireable.

Found the above in a different thread. Perhaps there is a typo in the '01 FSM and the 181 should say above and the 186 should say below?????

2000 and 2001 have a low pinion D30. All other years have a high pinion D30. This is an observable fact.

There may be a typo in my Build Sheet that I got from ChryCoJeep based on my VIN number. I have seen typos in my FSM, like the example picture of the ZJ 318 V8 fuel rail instead of the XJ I-6 fuel rail. Don't sweat the details, just fill 'er up.

If you go to buy parts just make sure your tell the guy high or low pinion. Any good supplier will know what you are talking about. Wranglers use the same low pinion axle. About the only things that will be different are the ring gear and pinion gear.

Back