• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj wont Start

MajCongo

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 XJ. A while back it shut off while driving. It still had power, all the lights still worked. But it wouldnt turn over. I have checked the started altarnator and everything inside the engine bay. If I put power directly to the starter it will crank. I have replaced the ignition switch and computer but nothing will allow it to start up. I have held the ignition key in for several minutes and it wont make a sound.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? am running out of ideas

Thank for the help.

Sounds to me like the NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) or the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) Do a search the the board they have lots of wright ups on how to check these parts.

I'd check the NSS First. its easy to check and you can clean it so you might not need to buy a new one. :D

I had a problem with the CPS on mine (88 XJ). I had already cleaned the NSS because my reverse lights were not working. so I know it wasn't that on mine.

I had that on mine a day after I bought it, went to autozone and bought an accy relay p/n SR21. After I wired it up the fuel pump would stay on with the ignition off. I ended up using the original one and adding a starter switch button and its been good since. my 2¢

sounds like the nss. if you are careful you can remove it and open it up and free up the contacts inside. the springs get gunked up and it wont make contact internally

Back