• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 & Corp 14 from a 76 Suburban desirable?

AboveNBeyond

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
I have a friend with a Dana 44 & Corp 14 from a 76 Suburban, it looked like to me that it was a high pinion, and I am not yet sure the gear ratio...

My question is this, would they even be desirable for a swap? And I don't mean all the blah blah about he bracketing, just the physical axles, are they any good to use?

Perfect opportunity for a 300!!

Both are low pinion.

Are they desireable? Not really, depending on what tire size you plan on running, gearing you plan on doing, the fab work you plan on doing, ect... The 14 bolt will be a rock anchor with smallish tires, unless you shave it a ton. The front is a LP, D30 size U joints.

The 14 bolt is 67" wide, same with the front.

You can swap them in, but it'd be wide, and you'd need to run a D300 or another pass drop TC. Im sure you already knew this.

As mentioned, you'll have to be able to "flip" your transfer case (meaning a splash-lubed, gear-driven unit - like the D300, D20, D18, and NP205?) to accommodate the front pax drop. Or just retube the axle.

The GM 14-bolt corporate axle is tougher than the hinges of Hell (both versions!) and well worth fabbing it to make it fit. The difference is in the size of the ring gear, so just measure the OD of the ring gear before you start ordering goodies. I don't recall the two sizes offhand.

Grab them! Aftermarket support on both is quite strong anyhow, so it should pose no trouble for you to find upgrades or parts to build them the way you want them to be built.

As CanMan mentioned, they are 'full width' axles - the XJ runs 60.25" or so WMS-WMS, so you're going to be getting about 3.5" wider each way. This means a larger "footprint," and isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Pass.

Don't waste your time dicking around with a passenger drop low pinion 44.

I don't believe that front would be worth fooling around with completely rebuilding your floorboards for a passenger drop case, and it's not worth having a low pinion 44 retubed. An F250 44 will be high pinion, equally foolish width, and still 8-lug to match that ridiculous land anchor of a rear axle.

Phil said:
Pass.

Don't waste your time dicking around with a passenger drop low pinion 44.

I don't believe that front would be worth fooling around with completely rebuilding your floorboards for a passenger drop case, and it's not worth having a low pinion 44 retubed. An F250 44 will be high pinion, equally foolish width, and still 8-lug to match that ridiculous land anchor of a rear axle.

If you are going to go through the trouble for a pass side drop axle go with a 60, much more worth it.

As far as the 14 bolt being indestructible under an XJ I spun the housing on mine, so make sure you weld the tubes to the housing.

Althought the 14 bolts is an INCREDIBLE axle for heavy duty trucks dealing with a heavy load/towing, 14 bolts are lastara for wheeling. The average unsprung XJ weighs 3000 lbs. A 14 bolt is used for trucks with GVWR of like 20K lbs. Way too much axle than what is needed plus it weighs a metric fawk ton (like 500+#).

Do some research but many claim that a HP 30 is better than a LP 44 plus with the upgrades available (30 spline inner and outer) the upgrads to the 44 are getting less and less (i.e. ball joints).

Well I guess I will pass then... we just happened to pull them out of a sub before it went to the wrecking yard. If they were ideal i would go through doing it, but it sounds like more then I want to deal with... for now.

Thank for all your comments.

Are you guys really saying to pass on some free axles? Dude, you got 'em run 'em, screw the nay sayers.

cracker said:
Althought the 14 bolts is an INCREDIBLE axle for heavy duty trucks dealing with a heavy load/towing, 14 bolts are lastara for wheeling..

WTF? wow....so you recommend a dana 60?

many people run this rear axle, albeit not with a 44 front but dont let anyone fool you the 14 bolt is about the best axle out there for wheeling....if you plan on runnin larger than a 39" tire...and smaller look at dana 60s or if you run less than a 36" look at 44s.

dana 30 shafts can be made just about as strong as a dana 44 but the ring gear and pinion are puny...and alot of people blow up the gear set in the 30s...no upgrade for that...

but as a 44/14 bolt is useless i think...

if you get them for free and dont want the 14 bolt you can give it to me..depending if it takes less than$100 in gas to get to you !!!1!!!1!!!1!!!1!!!1!!!1!!!1

OK ok... Let me make this easier...

I will likely never have a larger tire then a 33"... I am sure a D44 front and rear would last me till forever...

I will not be swapping t-cases just to use these axles, I guess I will just figure something else out.

AboveNBeyond said:
OK ok... Let me make this easier...

I will likely never have a larger tire then a 33"... I am sure a D44 front and rear would last me till forever...

I will not be swapping t-cases just to use these axles, I guess I will just figure something else out.

well then take the axles and sell them.lol..you will not want a 33" tire and a 14bolt...you will not move due to the 14bolt digging in the pavement

definite overkill for any thing less than 38"

ChrisRFewell said:
WTF? wow....so you recommend a dana 60?

many people run this rear axle, albeit not with a 44 front but dont let anyone fool you the 14 bolt is about the best axle out there for wheeling....if you plan on runnin larger than a 39" tire...and smaller look at dana 60s or if you run less than a 36" look at 44s.

dana 30 shafts can be made just about as strong as a dana 44 but the ring gear and pinion are puny...and alot of people blow up the gear set in the 30s...no upgrade for that...

but as a 44/14 bolt is useless i think...

if you get them for free and dont want the 14 bolt you can give it to me..depending if it takes less than$100 in gas to get to you !!!1!!!1!!!1!!!1!!!1!!!1!!!1
Yes there are MANY tards out there that run 14 bolts. The diff is WAY too big (takes up lots of clearance) and the axle is WAY too heavy. Even after a disc brake conversion (which MANY do to their axle) the axle still is too heavy. 14 bolts are intended to carry weight and LOTS of it. A great axle for what it was built for. A Jeep weighs nothing compared to what the axle was intended for. Do you even know what makes the 14 bolt strong?

A D60 in the rear that is 35 spline is still super strong enough to take 40-42" tires easily without the penalty of too much weight (usually 325# in a semi float variation) especially considering your power output of an XJ. Competition guys with 400+ HP and D60s are not breaking rear ends with extra sticky 40" tires that put more stress on axles then larger tires. Dana 60s are also available in 40 spline (aftermarket shafts/parts) which then would allow more room to breath (14 bolts are not).

Did you know a 14 bolt shaft is 1.56" and a 35 spline Dana 60 shaft is 1.5" (a 40 spline is 1.71"). Where the fuck do you get '39" tire...and smaller look at dana 60s '?

There is a reason things are free...........they are worth nothing. :looser:

Personally I like my 14bolt. Some cheap mods and a disk brake conversion and it is one of the few things on the jeep that I don't worry about.

Back