• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj Crossmember Repalcement

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
Well i need a new Xj crossmember and why replace it with another stocker when it got pretty mangled easy.

I like rustys crossmember for the xj but he offers it with or without a built in drop 1" . With my stock unit i have very little vibes, some might not even feel it. In the future i might add more to my 2" lift and may not, it really depends on a lot of things.

The question is should i get it with or without the drop. I called rustys and he suggested that i get it with the drop as i will not lose clearence anyways- so it cant hurt. But as usual i trust your opinions and would like some suggestions and or opinions even if they pertain to other crossmembers made by other companies.

Thanks
pete

TnT makes a nice crossmember that you can use later if you want to do long arms. I think it has a 1'' drop in it already, and is really beefy.

edit: I didnt really read your post. Do you have a sye? What year is your jeep? How much lift is on it now? That helps if we know what you have.
Id say get it if the 1'' drop doesnt affect your ground clearence.

jeepsrock said:
Well i need a new Xj crossmember and why replace it with another stocker when it got pretty mangled easy.

I like rustys crossmember for the xj but he offers it with or without a built in drop 1" . With my stock unit i have very little vibes, some might not even feel it. In the future i might add more to my 2" lift and may not, it really depends on a lot of things.

The question is should i get it with or without the drop. I called rustys and he suggested that i get it with the drop as i will not lose clearence anyways- so it cant hurt. But as usual i trust your opinions and would like some suggestions and or opinions even if they pertain to other crossmembers made by other companies.

Thanks
pete

If you don't plan to go any bigger, i'd get the crossmember without the drop. Reasons is, if you do go higher, like 4"+, you will more and likley need a SYE, so the dropped xmember will do little to help you even then. You could always add a TC drop kit to it in the future, if you run into any DS vibes. I run a 3.5" homebrew lift, with no SYE, or TC drop, and have no vibes at any speeds. Just the luck of the draw, I suppose.

Just remember - while a dropped t-case may help reduce rear driveshaft angles, it increases the front shaft operating angle...

Well let me ask it another way then...When i had the messed up crossmember in my xj it had been bent up a bit i had serious vibes. As soon as i removed it and put in on one i had laying around here things for the most part are ok. But ever since i put the lift (2") on at around 35-45mph if i coast i get a small vibe somthing some might not even feel.

I know getting a tcase drop isnt the answer to all, and i know that it might stress the front d/shaft - I only ask bc i was thinking of getting the xmember.

The TnT x member looks nice but they dont offer it with a drop ? Should i even consider the drop after reading what i have said above.

Thanks
pete

94 XJ Rustys 2" Lift with Full AAL
D30 / 8.25 231 Aw4 4.0L

Remember that even if Rusty says you dont loose clearance with the built in 1" drop, this is only true under the cross member but your transfercase still hangs 1" lower than stock and is the lowest point as well so more prone to being hit.

I am running the Rustys cross member with the 1 inch drop built in and I have to say it is probaly one of the best mods I have done with my cherokee....yes the transfer case hangs lower but I fabed the stock skid plate to make it work and so far no problems, and for the price you cant go wrong with it..

Back