• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

F150 coils

Giviner

NAXJA Forum User
Guys, just a quick question. I'm going to be doing the F150 coil / S10 rear leaf budget lift on my XJ. I've read lots of writeups on it and was just curious as to what model year the F150 coils should come from. I was reading www.lunghd.com and he states:1965-1979 F100 & F250 or 1975-1979 F150 as the coils he used. I'm just curious if any other years work or if these are the only ones. Are these basically all the solid front axle Fords or what?Thanks!

I don't think that I'd use coils out of an f-250 as the spring rate is way way higher than an f150. The f150 coils are going to be stiff enough, I wouldn't make the problem worse. That thread is a great for real budget lift springs. I've got a set of 78-79 bronco/f150 springs I'm trying to get ride of. PM me your zip for a shipping quote if you're interested.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've read about the T-bird coils as well, but don't feel like having to get someone to make me an adapter plate for the top of the spring. There are lots of F150's at the local JY so i should be able to track a set of those down easily.

This jeep isn't my DD......more of a beater/wheeling vehicle so if the ride is a bit stiff I'm not too concerned.

travis, I believe F150 shocks work in the rear, and YJ shocks will work up front.

Giviner said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've read about the T-bird coils as well, but don't feel like having to get someone to make me an adapter plate for the top of the spring. There are lots of F150's at the local JY so i should be able to track a set of those down easily.

This jeep isn't my DD......more of a beater/wheeling vehicle so if the ride is a bit stiff I'm not too concerned.

travis, I believe F150 shocks work in the rear, and YJ shocks will work up front.

"What I did was take apart the Mcphearson Strut, NOT coil over. and removed teh coil and kept the cap from the strut. Then I drilled out the cap to 2.5" wide and used it to seat the cougar springs since they are wider. I am gonna see if I cam make a FLAT cap to loose some height, maybe even cut some coils.The rear is next. Oddly enough, my AX-15 shifts smoother now, it used to grind but I guess haveing it sit 5" higher than the rear makes it shift better?"

You don't have to have anything machined.
Also I don't know what height your going for but you can use the springs out of a grand cherokee, V6 about 1 inch, V8 don't know for sure but with the expense of added spring rate.
And rear shackles off of an MJ will give you about 3/4" of lift on the cheap as well.

Last edited:
Back